Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat DNA test

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Paigeelizabeth, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Paigeelizabeth

Paigeelizabeth PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of or has had experience with a cat DNA test kit? I can only seem to find US based tests or PK somethings.

My kitty is domestic short hair so i'm super interesting in finding out what breeds hes made up of.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

You can't, and probably has no breeds behind him.

3. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

UC Davis has an ancestry test but it will only tell you what region your cat may have had ancestors from out of 8 geographic regions.

Anyone can send tests to the US, we use their lab over our local ones with quick and accurate results.

Very few moggies have any pedigree cat behind them so in my view there's not much point spending money on a test.

4. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

I think the OP maybe under the misaprehension that moggies are a hotchpotch of recognised breeds. Its actually the other way round - random features in moggies have been bred for over generations to create the breeds. Its certainly possible that a pedigree maybe lurking in your cat's ancestry (our old family cat was a half siamese ginger tom!), but most likely its a lovely moggie descended from a proud line of lovely moggies! :D

Would be nice to see some pictures of your cat though!

stockwellcat., chillminx and ewelsh like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice