Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat diarrhea, but healthy for the rest

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Domi-G, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Domi-G

Domi-G PetForums Newbie

Hi! I would really appreciate to hear other people’s opinion about this.

I have an almost 2 year old European shorthair cat called Atlas. He eats Purizon dry food and a rotation of Carny, Feringa and Mac’s wet food. End of January we got a new Ragdoll kitten, Loki at 13 weeks old. Halfway February I notice that Atlas had sometimes softer poop. But I thought this was because he would eat once in a while Loki’s food ( Royal Canin kitten). Since around beginning of March I noticed that Atlas has constant diarrhea and hasn’t had normal poop since then. I haven’t changed his diet and Loki now also eats the same as Atlas, so it’s not because he’s eating his food.

Atlas definitely doesn’t seem sick. He plays very much with Loki, has a great apetite and is not vomiting. The diarrhea has no blood and he only goes once a day. It also varies per day, some days it looks a lot better than others. I do notice that Atlas sometimes gets irritated with Loki and hisses at him, but for the rest they are good buddies.

Do you guys have any idea why Atlas would have diarrhea and what I can do to help? I think it might me some stress due to our new cat... Any help would be very much appreciated. If this doesn’t improve I’m going to call the vet next week.

Thanks in advance!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Domi-G and welcome :)

As you had not changed Atlas's diet when the diarrhoea started my first thought is that Loki may have brought something with him that has been passed to Atlas. Loki may be a carrier of some kind of bowel infection, but without obvious symptoms.

Has Loki been wormed since you got him?

I would take Atlas off the cat food for a few days and instead feed him a bland home-cooked diet to rest his bowel. Either home cooked chicken drumsticks or poached white fish. Feed it without the bone but with plenty of the cooking juices as Atlas will need lots of fluids to hydrate him.

Feed Atlas 4 meals a day, so his digestive system isn't overloaded with too much food at a time.

It is likely he may not poo for several days. Once he passes a formed stool you then start gradually transferring him back to a cat food diet, taking about 4 days to complete the transfer. I would give him wet food only, no dry at this stage.

If you want to include some dry food in the future, I'd wait until his stools are reliably firm and formed for several weeks before you do so.

3. Domi-G

Domi-G PetForums Newbie

Hi Chillminx, thank you very much for your answer.

We got Loki from a Cattery indeed, so it could be he brought something with him and didn’t have symptoms. I will give Atlas some easy to digest food during the coming days and hopefully there will be some improvement.

Here’s a picture of both cuties :) 6D46D6DC-62F6-4416-AC42-DEACD49A3CBF.jpeg

chillminx likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Aww, beautiful cats! :) I hope Atlas is better soon. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice