Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat diagnosed with ear infection but developed sore by ear, please help!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Rebecca97, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Rebecca97

Rebecca97 PetForums Newbie

One of our cats was not himself last week, very grumpy and growling at his siblings and us (very unusual, he’s a lovely, cuddly cat). He had his left ear down and it looked sore so we took him to the vet straight away, they diagnosed him with an ear infection and gave him antibiotic drops and a painkiller injection. Last night I noticed a scab just by his ear and he has been itching a lot today, the first picture was last night. I have just looked properly when administering his ear drops and the sore now looks almost like a hole and looks very infected (second picture). I have rang the vets again, who advised the drops are pushing the infection out ?? But that he has his follow up appointment in 2 days so they will check then. He seems okay in his temperament and hasn’t gotten grumpy at all but it looks so sore and I have no idea where it has suddenly come from ?! We live in the UK, when I googled it I saw lots of stuff about botfly but the vet said this isn’t possible due to where we live. Any ideas? Thank you !!

Attached Files:

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I wouldn't wait 2 more days. Call the vet office back in the morning and insist on getting him in. That looks awful. Perhaps he is having a reaction to the drops. I've dealt with plenty of ear issues in cats and never heard of "pushing the infection out" creating a sore like that.

Calvine and buffie like this.
  3. Rebecca97

I argued with the reception to try and get him in earlier but they were adamant for me to wait! I’m going to call them again first thing. They mentioned it could be him itching it but I don’t understand how him itching could cause that! Do you have any idea what it may be? We have 3 cats but they have all been very healthy until we’ve encountered this so we have no idea what it could be! I will definitely be ringing them first thing though, thank you.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’ve never heard of antibiotics pushing infection out either.

If it was the receptionist who said that then really she needs to button it and not give medical advice imo.

If it was the vet I think I’d avoid that one tbh.

It could be he’s knocked a scab off whilst scratching.

I doubt the antibiotic ear drops will affect any infection outside there so maybe a different ab is required for that?

However, whilst it does look sore it doesn’t look infected to me from the photo, so I might just try gently bathing with boiled (cooled) salted water to keep it clean, if he’ll let you, until he can be seen by the vet. Obviously I’m not medically qualified either ;)

lorilu and buffie like this.
  5. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

My cat had a very similar thing happen. The scab was caused by her scratching her ear because of the irritation. I took her straight back to my vet and they cleaned the area and put her on antibiotics and it soon healed up. Hope your boy is soon better x

Rebecca97, Calvine and lorilu like this.
  6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

That does look very sore, I really don't have any advice about what the problem is but the receptionist has no right to dictate when you will see the vet , she is there simply to take calls /arrange app[ointments to suit the client and receive payment for treatment.
    I would be back on the phone asking for the first available appointment and if she argues ask to speak to the vet direct.
    I would also mention her attitude when you do see the vet as that sort of "first contact" will not be doing the practice any good.

Rebecca97, Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

It would make sense that he has been scratching at the ear while it was uncomfortable. When mine had an ear infection, he was constantly shaking his head and scratching at his ear (or near it); in fact that was how I knew there was something wrong.

lorilu likes this.
  8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I agree about the receptionist. I was thinking about that very thing last night, a receptionist making up some cockamamie story, and getting al indignant on your behalf again but had already shut the computer down. I've known a few like that. Please let us know how he's doing.

Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Rebecca97 - if the wound is a 'hole' it reminds me of a puncture wound from a bite. Is he an outdoor cat? Or if not could one of your other cats have bitten him? i.e. do they fight with each other?

One of my cats got bitten by my neighbour's cat, right next to his ear, (similar place to your cat's wound). Being a puncture wound, nothing was visible at first and then my boy began scratching his ear and shaking his head so I took him to the vet immediately.The vet found the bacteria from the puncture wound had been transferred into the ear (from the cat scratching) and caused an infection in the ear canal as well.

My cat needed antibacterial drops for the ear infection and systemic oral antibiotics to treat the puncture wound. Your cat may well need systemic antibiotics too, to treat the wound on his head.

Gallifreyangirl and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Rebecca97

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your help! Took him back to the vets this morning and they saw him straight away. Turns out he must’ve been in a fight as it was a puncture wound that has got infected so turned into an abscess! Because his ear was initially so sore the puncture was hidden, but the vet was lovely and cleaned it all up and he’s had an antibiotic injection and some more painkiller! He now has a cone/collar so is less than impressed but it looks much better and he already seems more himself! The vet said it should start to heal up on its own now but if there are any further problems to take him straight back. He’s snuggling on my bed now! I also mentioned the rude receptionist so hopefully she won’t do that again!! Thank you again :)

Attached Files:

Calvine, lymorelynn, lorilu and 2 others like this.
  11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thanks for the update , poor lad he has been in the wars.
    Glad he has been seen and had his ear problem sorted.

Rebecca97 likes this.
  12. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

I hope your fur baby is soon feeling much better x

Rebecca97 likes this.
  13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thank goodness you didn't wait. Abscesses are incredibly painful and if the infection had gotten into the blood stream he'd been in a lot more trouble. Well done getting him seen. Remember an abscess has to heal from the inside out. Make sure it stays open while it heals.

Rebecca97 likes this.
  14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I was right then! :)

But I'm very sorry to hear it has turned out to be an abscess after all. Pleased you have had him seen by the vet and he has had antibiotics and pain relief.

Rebecca97 and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice