Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Debate - Pls prove my OH wrong

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kellyrich, Jan 20, 2012.

1. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Ok my BSH is now 10 years old and i believe he has a lot of years left in him!

My grandma's cat died at 28 years old and my OH doesnt believe me that a cat can live that long!

I know of a few cats that live in their 20s so please back me up guys cos he thinks im lying and that our cat is gonna die soon!!! how wrong can he be!!!

2. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Oh yes? I've known of one 24 before

3. spid

spid PetForums VIP

10 is still a youngster - I would class a cat over 16 as an elderly cat - but many live into their 20's

4. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

course they can! my boys nearly 15, been ill all of his life, one of my nanas cats lived to 29 with illness aswell!

5. tashax

tashax PetForums VIP

My first rescue cat i got when she was 15, she had diabetes and kidney failure, she had regular meds and at 17 she developed an ectopic heart, had more meds, then at 18 she developed epilepsy, yet more meds. She was still climbing the walls and chasing the dogs round at 18 :D we had her put to sleep a couple of days before she was 19th birthday because she had a fit and wouldnt stop fitting when she didnt have drugs going into her through a drip. Your cat has may years left yet :)

6. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Someone told me this week that her mother has a cat who is in its 30s but my neighbour has a BSH and she said they dont have really long lives, she said she will be lucky to have him for 10-12 years, I dont know how true that is though.

7. swatton42

swatton42 PetForums Senior

Ok hold on, I've got to do abit of maths now.

Boris was born the year before me, and Tasha was born a few months before him.

Dad passed away when I was 15 and then we lost Boris the following year so Boris was 17 when had went to the bridge.

We lost Tasha in September last year so she would have been 20.

Your little 1 has plenty of years left.

8. catlover0581

catlover0581 PetForums VIP

my beautiful Oscar lived until he was 16...unfortunately he got a tumour, but was otherwise in good shape. tell your OH he's got a few more joyous years as yet!! lol (if he's anything like my OH, he will never admit the love he has for the furbabies, but i know its there when he lets them sleep on our bed haha):D

9. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I had 2 torties who lived to be 18½ and a friend of mine had a cat who was 23. When I was a child, my aunt's cat lived to be 25, and the oldest cat in the Netherlands died last year at 28½.

So even though 28 is the cat equivalent of Methuselah, 10 is still only middle aged. About 55 in human years.

#9 Jiskefet, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  10. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Our last cat died at 18/19 yrs old and my childhood cat was about 14 but he was poisoned :(

11. thedeans

thedeans PetForums Senior

last year my cat fell asleep - she was 20 yrs young xx

12. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

I lost a cat at 10, but he had cancer.

My Nans cat when I was growing up lived to 23.

My OHs family cats lived to 16, 18, 18 and 19.

My boss lost her cat last year she was 26 :eek:

13. marleyboo

marleyboo PetForums Senior

my mums moggy is 18 and still going :D

14. marie2263

marie2263 PetForums Member

Yes cat can live in their 20s. My persian cat lived almost 20 years old that's not usually for a persian cat. I believe your cat has lots of years ahead of him. The rspca was surprised how old my persian was because persian don't usually live to 20 years old. It's all depend on the cat and how you look after them take no notice of your OH enjoy your baby.

marie

15. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Late teens / early twenties does seem quite a normal lifespan for a cat.

My friends two Siamese were about 17 and 20 when they died, and I know plenty of moggies in their early-mid teens who are still in excellent health.

I doubt you have anything to worry about for a good while yet :)

16. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

According to this a cat in Melbourne will be 35 this year!

Fantastic felines! Record breaking cats | zooplus UK

Appears as if the vast majority of cats who exceed normal life expectancy are female as well. :)

Apart from the genetic component ( our family cat was nearly 25 when she died and apart from a leg fracture was never ill and I don't believe she's an exception ) identifying and successfully treating illnesses early can vastly improve chances of longevity. Leaving conditions untreated even minor ones, quite often leads to other illnesses and ailments. This applies to cats of all ages.

17. Tracy Lou

Tracy Lou PetForums Member

Candy's my BSH 15 in March and still runs round like a loony at least once a day :crazy: she's had both Thyroids removed and should have many years left. My sisters got 2 cats, one's 19 and the other is 20 years old. With today's health and nutrition we're very luck we get to have many years of fun with them. :thumbsup:
    So :p to you OH.

18. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

We have a BSH Girl and she will be 18 in April.
    I think like humans some live long lives and some a bit shorter.

19. Puindoors

Puindoors PetForums Member

20. Ally-Kats

Ally-Kats PetForums VIP

My lovely moggie Scamp is 16 years and 8 months and hopefully judging by the other posts I hope he has a good few years yet :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice