Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Damage to Fence

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bwy39, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

I have a situation on my hands which is annoying me tremendously.

I have a large wooden fence around my home which is being damaged by the cats from next door using the corner of it as scratch post.

This is causing damage to the wooden panel which I am having to replace every few months. I know a cat can not be controlled and I don't expect it to be either. I do not blame my neighbour for the damage as they can do nothing about what the cat does.

Despite my understanding I am still angry as I have no way of preventing the damage being done.

I am now out every week painting the damage as it looks so dreadful then once the timber is damaged to the point of no return I have to take the board out and replace it.

Do any of you cat lovers have any idea as to what I can do to deter the cat as I wish it no harm and would never dream of hurting it.:cryin:

2. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

I reccomend citronella spray, it stopped my cat scratching my sofa. You might have to apply if fairly often. Or as a more permanent solution maybe you could cover the bottem section of the fence with some kind of wire mesh so they cant scratch it. hope this helps :)

3. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

Thank you for this tip I appreciate it.

I would be reluctant to fit any form of wire to the fence as it is in a main street where children often play so there is a risk of a child being hurt by putting fingers through the wire.
    A good suggestion though if it was inside my property I would use that.

4. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Oilbas Oil they hate the smell of it. You could get some cotton wool balls and put this onto it and tie a few to the post so they dangle down, they may go to play with it thinking it is a toy but once they smell it they wont come back again. Another one is get a male to pee on the post, sounds stupid but they dont like the smell.

5. I was going to say that! and it that fails then tiger or lion dung should do the trick:D:D:D

6. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

My thought was chicken wire / mesh too. You don't have to put it all the way up the panel - just as high as the cat(s) reach. If it is really secured on, then children shouldn't be able to hurt themselves. And if they do.... Well, they'll know not to stick their fingers in it the next time won't they!! :D

7. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I have visions of a man standing close to the fence post now peeing and a police car pulling up and having him for indecent exposure, and him trying to tell the police what he was trying to do :eek: :D

8. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

I'm sure you can actually buy lion sh*t for those purposes. Google it!

9. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

Wire mesh shouldn't cause children any harm even if they did stick their fingers in it, the holes are to big to get a finger stuck in it. I have some in my garden and my daughter has never hurt her self on it. If it's your fence then surely it on your property? and if that is the case then the kids shouldn't be touching the fence.

10. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

my oh brought some moth balls home to put around the garden...dunno if they work... but god i would love to stop the cat thats shitting on my grass:cool: my own dog don't do it so why should anything else!!!!!! rant over :lol: :lol:

11. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

Also if these kids are old enough to be out side playing then you would hope they would know not to poke fingers in wire mesh. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice