Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat crying out, panting

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by EmilyRhodes, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilyRhodes

EmilyRhodes PetForums Newbie

One of my cats (indoor cat) is around 10, and tonight he gave us quite a scare.

He was laying, content, and then he made a strange meow and threw up. As I prepared to clean this up, he leaped down and laid down on the floor, making heartbreaking meows that sounded like cries and howls. This went on for about 2-3 minutes, it was absolutely awful, we tried to calm him using verbal reassurances.

After this, he got up and walked to a different area about 1 foot away and began to pant, really quick breaths, half of the time using his tongue to pant, the other half just a slightly open mouth. This lasted for maybe 5 minutes. I read somewhere that panting means dehydration, so I got him a dish of water, but my brother said that cats can experience a kind of panic attack.

Shortly after I placed the water down he moved to a different room and laid down, we gave him the water and my brother is calming him now while I look for what to do.

Is this normal? Is this do to with panic, or a health issue? If anyone else’s cat does this PLEASE let me know. I’ll be posting this to both the heath section and the behaviour section. We’re all really worried, even our other cat who hasn’t stopped keeping an eye on him through the mirror to make sure he’s okay.

#1 EmilyRhodes, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  2. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Closing as there's no benefit in having 2 simultaneous threads, it just gets confusing.:Locktopic

Torin. and lymorelynn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice