Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat "Coughing"

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by JoaoPedro, Apr 7, 2019.

1. JoaoPedro

JoaoPedro PetForums Newbie

Good afternoon,

I do not know if anyone has any idea what my cat might have (video on link below). I already took the 2 different vets and no one was able to say something in concrete, has already been x-ray and there is nothing to point. Was made the internal and external worming several times to eliminate options. He has days that do not cough, others barely wake up, and the first thing he does is to cough. Some coughs last less than 2 minutes, some more. Some times he vomits balls of hair, which I think is the cause of everything. But neither with malt paste and anti hair balls snacks, it gets better. He has had these crises since childhood.

If anyone can help me, I appreciate it.

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

It sounds almost like he is congested. Does he ever sneeze? My family had a cat that would sound similar and he had congestion from an illness as a kitten that affected him.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @JoaoPedro and welcome :)

One of my cats used to cough like that. He was worse in the summer months. The vet diagnosed it as asthma, made worse by allergies to pollen in the summer.

He was given a course of Doxycycline antibiotics which cleared up the cough for 6 months. Asthmatic humans are prone to respiratory infections and cats are also.

sandy-cat likes this.
  4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi there, I wonder how often you change his diet? Some cats don’t like their diets changed and it much, much better to change it gradually. If I change my youngest cat’s diet too quickly it often causes him to vomit, starting with the same noise or cough as you call it, and often with small furballs in. My cat may even have an intolerance to the new food, so I make a note of it and discontinue the new food. Could you try sticking to his favourite brand of food only, for a while to see if this helps? I hope this helps.

#4 TriTri, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  5. JoaoPedro

JoaoPedro PetForums Newbie

Okay, thanks for the answers. He always eats the same doesn´t have drastic changes in his food. I'm going to take him to the vet and take the asthma test and we'll see. I let you know then.

TriTri likes this.
  6. Freddiesmum

Freddiesmum PetForums Newbie

Hi. Sorry did your cat have asthma? My cat has a cough like that but asthma been ruled out after xray. I'm thinking about getting a second opinion.

Soozi and TriTri like this.
  7. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

My 14 year old Burmese cat Bruno started doing the same thing around Christmas. We took him to the vet, who said she could hear “a little noise” on his lungs and it could be asthma, but not bad enough to medicate. Otherwise healthy; bring him back if he got worse.

Fast forward to about April/May, I forget exactly when, but we felt his coughing bouts had got more frequent - he was having a lengthy one most nights. Took him back to the vet, saw a different one, and she gave him a very thorough examination. Basically we got the same answer as before.

I read somewhere that a cool mist humidifier could help, so I bought one. My cats sleep in the kitchen, so it’s on for about 7 or 8 hours overnight. We don’t hear him coughing anything like as frequently now, so unless he waits until we’re out or asleep, it really seems to have helped.

After we had been using it for about a month my daughter got a really bad cold, which turned into a chesty cough. She borrowed the humidifier to put in her room at night and was convinced it helped her sleep and she wasn’t so “bunged up” in the morning. She used it for about 4 or 5 nights - during which time Bruno’s cough got worse again ....

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  8. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Sandy was doing something very similar a week ago. I took him to the vet who checked him over and decided to sedate him to check the back of his throat for an obstruction. There was no obstruction but his vocal cords were extremely swollen and sore. They treated him with a steroid jab and antibiotics and he is much better now.

The vet thought it may well have been an allergic reaction, which is possible as he does seem to have pollen allergies (on top of food allergies, poor baby :( ). If he wasn't already on steroids the vet would have prescribed a cat inhaler.

So worth another vet visit I suspect, and see if they will sedate him and check his throat more carefully. Mine also did a chest x-ray while he was under just to rule out any other issues.

TriTri likes this.
  9. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

That’s useful to know. I wish I’d known about this when I had an asthmatic cat. Thank you for sharing this.

Jansheff likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice