Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat coughing.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by tracysgap, May 21, 2017.

1. tracysgap

tracysgap PetForums Junior

Hi, my female cat is almost 16 and is now a house cat. Last week she got into a huge mess on the litter tray and the only way we could clean her was to half bath her, after which she groomed herself profusely to dry off (despite our best efforts to dry her ourselves)
    A few days ago she brought up a hairball but last night I heard her making a strange noise. She's had about 4-5 bouts of it during the night and this morning. It's like she's coughing but it's a real hacking cough with no production of a hairball. Normally when she has a hairball she is quiet and there isn't much much noise but this is noisy.
    Obviously I want to avoid an expensive vet visit if its unnecessary, and any stress to her (she gets very anxious when we take her, at the same time I'm worried about her.
    Does anyone know what this can be?
    Thanks in advance.

2. tracysgap

Also meant to say she was eating and drinking normally yesterday and she is behaving normally too except when she is actually experiencing these coughing bouts.

3. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

@tracysgap

Really sorry to hear that your little lady cat is coughing, there are many reasons why cats cough. It might be as simple as dust or seasonal allergies but I do think I would be inclined to pop her along to the vets. I know how you feel, one of mine gets stressed.

Good luck, let us know how you get on x

4. Jannor

Jannor PetForums VIP

I agree that it is best to take her to the vet for a cough.

Good luck with her

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I agree you really need to take her to the vets, if nothing else but to rule out anything really nasty. Whatever it is, it needs treating asap.

6. tracysgap

Thanks all. She doesn't seem to have done it all afternoon, we had another bout this morning then nothing. I'm sure if it's gonna happen again it will be when she's lying on top of me during the night like last night!!!!!!
    I think I'll call the vets tomorrow if it happens again tonight or tomorrow.

7. tracysgap

Well looks like we're off to the vet. Poor hope had a few more bouts of coughing during the night.
    I just hate taking her, she hasn't miowed properly for years at home, put her in the cat box and she's louder than her super loud sister!! When she gets home she hides away in any tiny space she can find for days! But can't be helped. Just hoping it's something simple, she seems fine in herself but she's obviously not got youth on her side.

8. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

@tracysgap

Good luck at the vets today, I feel your pain as one of mine cries the whole way there, bad enough with only a 7 minute drive! Then he will hide for a few weeks when I am leaving the house as he thinks he's coming with me :(

Let us know how you get on, hope it's something simple x

9. tracysgap

Thank you. Theven vethe said she seems in pretty good shape for her age and doesn't have any other worrying symptoms. He checked her all over and found a slight heart murmur and slightly enlarged kidneys but said he isn't overly concerned as she doesn't have any related problems and given her age it's probably age related. The cough he thinks could either be a lodged hairball that she is having difficulty expelling due to her age (she is long haired) or an infection. So he's treating for both in the hope that one of them will work! If she doesn't improve over the next week or becomes worse off have to take her back.
    I'm justill hoping that one of them does the trick! Thank you all for your well wishes and advice.

Charity likes this.
  10. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Aww bless you, can we have a pic of your little lady please? Sending lots of healing vibes your way :)

11. tracysgap

This is her, looking slightly more relaxed that she did at the vets!!
    She's such a gentle kitty, never once scratched any of us (even our noisy autistic 6 yr old son), except when she was terrified once when I had to bath her and she dug her claws into my chest trying to get away from the water!!

Attached Files:

Charity and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  12. tracysgap

Thank you for the healing vibes too.

13. tracysgap

All cat problems this weekend! My friend has found a litter of kittens in her back garden. I've just posted in the breeding category to ask for advice as she's in a panic and I wanted to help her!
    My two cats came to me under similar circumstances 16 years ago. My cousins friend took their mum in when she realised she was pregnant and her owners had gone on holiday for 8 weeks leaving her outside to fend for herself. Thankfully the lady took her in and cared for her then rehomed the kittens when it was time. So the thought of those poor little kittens breaks my heart as my two cats came from a similar situation and have brought so much love and laughter over the years. Just hope they are also cared for and rehomed and enjoy a comfortable life as I hope my two have.

14. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Oh my goodness, it never rains but it pours!

Thank you for helping your friend, I really hope someone in Cat Breeding will be able to offer advice.

Your girl is gorgeous, and you can put the feistiness down to being a Tortie....they have what you call torti-tude!! :)

tracysgap likes this.
  15. tracysgap

This is her sister Ellie looking cute! She loves to sit inside ikea and sport direct bags!!!! She climbs into them at every opportunity!!

Attached Files:

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  16. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

Aww she's a calico!! Mine like Primark bags lol I think it's the rustle they make :)

tracysgap likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice