Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat constantly urinating inside

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ragers, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Ragers

Ragers PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with my 5-year-old male cat. He's neutered but constantly urinates inside the house. We've tried Feliway spray, lifted the carpets, orange peels, apple cider vinegar but nothing seems to work. I should probably also mention this is a spot my old cat (now passed away) used to pee in as well. Anything else that I could try?

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Have you cleaned the soiled areas thoroughly with enzymatic cleaner? Cats still can smell urine after ordinary cleaning when we think all smells good. The Feliway spray is no use with that at all. Only Enzyme cleaner splits up the molecules and removes the smell completely.
    So if your former cat has marked these places with his urine it’s no wonder that your new cat marks over them.

Other question: Do you provide inside litter boxes? Even free roamers ought to have the option of at least two litter boxes inside.

Third idea: Did you take your boy to a vet for a health check? Sometimes cats with urinary tract issues pee on soft surfaces rather than in litter boxes.

chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Ragers

Ragers PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the suggestion!

To answer your litter box question, yes, we have 3 litter boxes inside the house. We haven't taken him to the vet though (yet).

ChaosCat likes this.
  4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Can you block access to the area?

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Ragers and welcome :)

I agree with Chaoscat, the next best step would be to take your boy to the vet so the vet can carry out a urinalysis to see if there is a UTI. (urinary tract infection) or struvite crystals in the bladder. If a cat is in pain when he pees he associates the litter box with the pain, so he avoids the box..

If the vet gives your boy a clean bill of health, then the cause of the soiling is more likely to be behavioural. Your cat may be doing it to comfort himself if something is upsetting him e,g. local cats chasing him or bullying him for his territory. Does he have a microchip cat flap so he can come and go as he pleases and no other cats can get into your house?

If your old cat passed away recently and your boy is soiling the same spot, it may be he is deliberately covering the scent with his own scent, perhaps as a comfort, or perhaps because he is missing your old cat.

I use Bio Tex enzymatic stain remover to clean up any feline pee or vomit as it gets rid of the smell very well. You can buy it from Amazon.co.uk.

With any kind of bladder problem (including soiling) it is always best to feed a wet food diet only, no dry at all. Sometimes a wet food diet can be enough to stop a soiling problem as the cat is getting enough fluids in his diet and the bladder is flushed through frequently so that sludge and crystals do not have a chance to develop in the bladder and cause a problem for the cat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice