Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat coming to visit - Advice

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kbhenry, May 11, 2010.

1. kbhenry

kbhenry PetForums Junior

My mother-in-law wants to come and stay with us and bring her cat along too. However, I am really worried about our new rescue cat which we have had for only 4 months and although has come along way can also be very jumpy.

She lives 1hr 30min drive away and I am worried that her cat (which is very confident) will upset our cat. She is a 1 year old pedigree and he is a 3 year old who has been in a cage for 6months before we got him.

I don't really want her to bring the cat. Although perhaps this will be a good test to see how he gets on with other cats (as he doesn't go out properly yet as he gets spooked).

Do you think this may lead to him loosing his confidence again or do you think it may be good for him to have a friend for a few days?They are both very playful. I just don't want to undo any of the progress we have made.

Any ideas how to introduce them and whether I should give them time or send them home straight away if either of them make a fuss?

Many thanks,

2. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

How long is she coming to visit for?

A proper introductory regime can take a few weeks, so if it's any less than that, the best bet might be to keep them separate. Thats the start of an introductory regime anyway.

3. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

i would say let your cat have run of the room and the visiting cat stay in its basket and introduce them that way. if all looks good then let them both out and see what happens always under supervision tho. if u think there is any way they wont get on after that then keep them separate for the duration of the stay. i hope all goes well for u and both kitties :)

4. kbhenry

kbhenry PetForums Junior

Thanks for your advice.

She is staying for a few days.

Not sure how it will go as a cat ran into our house today and our boy was not best pleased. He used to be so placid in that cage we got him from. I suppose this is his turf now and he has got confidence again. Bless.

He cat has stayed here before a few times before we got our cat so they may both be teritorial, or it may be a bonus as her cat may not be as scared.

We shall see. As long as my boy doesn't have a personality change after, or pee somewhere then I will be ok.

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice