Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Collapsing/Fitting

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jayne31, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

I have an 18 year old chocolate persian. His health has been good up until last night when he suddenly collapsed on to his right hand side and when "stiff". He came out of this but was left disorientated and unable to walk properly. I called the out of hours vet who said that it sounded like he had had a fit, and to monitor him and take him in this morning if things were still not right. I took him to vet this morning who gave him a thorough check and could feel nothing untoward, she did however this he may have hyper-thyroidsim. She took a blood sample and said I would receive the results later. About 40min after returning home she called to say the results had come back normal. She said to see how the cat went and that he may not have a reoccurance.

He perked up during the day, he's eaten some ham and a very small bit of his own food and has been drinking, he's done the smallest of wee's as well. Unfortunately he has had a further 2 "fits" tonight, I called the vet back and she said that obviously we can look into medication, but I need to consider his age, his ability to take tablets etc etc. He's been laying on the floor since, but about 10 mins ago just suddenly sat bolt upright, as bright as a button and marched (albeit slightly woozy) into the kitchen for a drink and some food. I am totally confused as what to think or do. I don't want to put him through loads of tests at his age, but at the same time would be heartbroken to have to make "that" decision.

I would be so grateful if anyone has had a similar experience with their cat, I also don't want to line the pocket of the vets!

2. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your cat! Any other conditons?

Sounds to me as if he had stroke or seizure and frankly I'm not surprised he's had another one today. Was this suggested by the vet at all?

Usually high blood pressure ( again! ) is the cause and was this checked at the vets on either occasion? Once this is under control ( medication ) the seizures should stop. Cats with hyperthyroidism can have high BP but it can also be a separate condition.

Cats can recover from a stroke like this but the emphasis should be on preventing a further one by addressing the underlyine cause. So I wouldn't be thinking about anything final at this stage. After all 18 isn't that old any more!

3. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Sorry-welcome to PF! Forgot to mention the fact he's eating and drinking are very good signs.

4. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

He has no other conditions, the only other time I have had to rush him to the vets in his entire life was last year because he had a bad tooth!! The vet did mention high blood pressure but only in relation to the thyroid. He's just eaten quite a bit of freshly cooked chicken, and now is snuggled down on the sofa.

I feel like I am on a complete rollar coster of emotions, am dreading having to leave him on Monday when I have to go to work. I have noticed this evening that he seems to now have a soft lump on his side - he's been on the sofa each time he's had one of these fits so has not bumped into anything.

5. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

The thyroid test came back as normal

6. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I would certainly get the vets to check his blood pressure regardless of the thyroid result as high BP can occur on it's own. Important to rule this out.

There's also another conditon called vestibular disease ( due to middle ear infection-treatable with antibiotics ) which has similar symptoms. Did he have a temperature?

How is his walking now? Where exactly is the lump?

I can certainly understand how you feel about Monday. Can you arrange to take it off?

7. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Do you know she didn't take his temperature! The lump has appeared on the left handside sort of belly region, he's bothered if you touch but don't thinks it's hurting him - if that makes sense.

I may have to have half a day to get him back to vets in the morning, don't really want to take him tomorrow as will get charged weekend call out and I dread to think how much that will be. Think I'm gonna have to ask my Dad to help out as it is.

8. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

My vets weekend consultation charge is only £5 higher than the regular charge; any drugs dispensed over the weekend/out of hours, the cost remains the same as any other time. Calling the vet out to your home may prove more costly, but I get the impression you're able to take your cat to the vet, rather than get the vet to your home? You could give the vets surgery a call in the morning for advice? Telephone advice from the vet costs nothing.

Good luck with your boy. I hope it's nothing too serious and is treatable :)

9. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

I'm only about 10/15 min drive from my vets if need be. I hope I can get him sorted, have had him since he was something like 10 weeks old so it would be devastating

10. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

So an update.

This morning Oscar seems a whole lot brighter. He's meowing and very alert. He's eating chicken and ham, not taking much interest in his own food and is drinking.

He's even back to tapping me with his paw for attention, which he was not doing at all yesterday, and he's sitting by the fridge :smile:

Looking back on yesterday's visit to the vet I realised that she didn't do the basics of taking his temperature or looking in his ears. Maybe it is just wishful thinking on the part of an owner that really doesn't want to say goodbye, but maybe he fitted due to a temperature or something???? Having read up on seizures in cats most of the articles seem to concur that this condition starts in cats from an early age, this is the first time ever he's done this.

Will see what today brings, and maybe I will have to change vets to a smaller more personal one!

11. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I was just going to suggest moving to another practice before I saw you last post and I agree completely! Do find out beforehand though if they have the blood pressure equipment-not all do and it sounds as if this may be the case with your current practice!

I think this is far more serious than just a reaction to the temperature and the emphasis from now has to be on more thorough diagnostics with a view to preventing another episode by addressing the underlying cause, sooner rather than later. Seizures are common to all age groups but in an older cat a stroke would be my number one suspect and should be ruled out first!

Glad to hear he's better today!

12. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I'm pleased to read Oscar is much brighter this morning. Even if he continues in this vein, it wouldn't hurt to get him properly checked by a new vet - one who does the basics of veterinary medicine, like checking temperature :rolleyes: It's quite scary to think your vet didn't do this basic test, which is a good indicator of illness etc. Also, a fairly basic examination should include feeling/firm stroking of the cat's body. Had this been done by your vet, it would have brought to light the lump you've recently discovered. Seeing another vet is a good idea.

Between now and seeing a new vet, you could jot down times/dates etc of Oscar's symptoms to help give the new vet a clear picture of what's been going on. From personal experience, I have found this really helps me as when I'm actually at the vet surgery, I'm so worried, I'd forget my questions, so having them written down works well :)

13. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

She did feel him all over, this lump appeared last night. He's had one before and it just cleared up, it almost feels cyst like. She said that she couldn't feel anything untoward.

He does have a grade 2 heart murmer and she said yesterday that his heart was beating very fast, can only assume that the fact he was stuffed in a box, in a car and driven to the vets was taken into consideration!!! It was after this that she said she thought he had hyper-thyroidism but the test result was normal and he doesn't have this. She then said she could do further tests from the blood sample she had and this would cost a further £70 odd on top of the £66 I just paid out. I don't begrudge the money, but I have to wonder at the test test test syndrome they have - given that the basics of temperature where not done.

My old surgery was very small and personal, Oscar used to get Christmas and birthday cards from it, and they treated him like he was their own. I get the feeling that this place is so big it really is a "business" - which of course it is but we are talking about living breathing creatures still but owners still need the support and help to make the right decisons

14. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Actually having the bloodwork done could have pinpointed a cause or ruled out others.

At any rate it's a good idea to have annual bloods with older cats to nip potential problems in the bud!

15. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I agree with Ianthi, liver and kidney problems can cause fitting due to toxins building up in bloodstream. Not nice to think about, but he could have something going on in his brain, hopefully not, but it is a possibility.

Hope he is okay, and I'd go for a full blood count, renal and liver function.

16. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Remember....if you DO go to a new vet, ask them to ring through to your old one for medical records and the details of the blood test you have already paid for...no need to duplicate tests at least.

17. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

18. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone, you don't know how much all your posts have helped!

Am pleased to report that we have had a fit free day :001_smile: Oscar has been sleeping a lot but in between has seemed quite alert, he has also been eating chicken, ham and some of his own food. He is still drinking a fair bit.

The only thing today was that he peed on the pillow that he was curled up on, whether this is a side affect of the fits or a symptom of somthing I've no idea. As much as it pains me to do I will have to keep him in the kitchen tonight in case he has an accident during the night on the sofa.

After talking to a friend, I've decided to take him back to the same vets as they will have his history (am going to ask to see another vet though), and my friend is going to come with me as support. I am going to ask for them to do blood work for his kidney, liver etc functions, and ask them to check this sudden lump that has appeared. Once I have all the information then I can begin to make the correct decisions for Oscar rather than ending up a wailing heap on the floor - Kleenex profits have probably soared this weekend.

Once again thank you all so very very much. Will let you know how Oscar (and I) get on xx

19. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I wish you the very best with your visit to the vet. Please keep us updated about Oscar, he sounds like a lovely boy and he's very fortunate to have you as his caring owner :)

20. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Today's update!

Took Oscar back to the vets and saw a lovely lovely woman, who really did seem to care about Oscar as well as me! He has no temperature, no problems with his ears, his gums and eyes are good to.

All the tests were clear :D:D:D:D:D He has gained 1/10th of a Kilo since Saturday. She could feel no arthritic joints or any untoward lumps. The lump that has come up could be a cyst or something else, she gave it a thorough prod and it didn't hurt or bother him, so at his grand age I feel it's best left alone rather than putting him through an anaesthetic to see what the lump is or to have a needle stuck in him to see what she drew out of it given that it is not bothering him

He's still not really eating his own food but is enjoying a mix of chicken, ham and turkey. He is even now standing on his hind legs scrabbling when I go into the fridge.

The vet said that given he will be 18 next month he is remarkably well and we should just keep an eye on him. I still feel very unsettled by all that has happened but hopefully he will carry on improving and I will start to relax.

I do keep following him about, and he is now looking at me as if to say "for gods sake woman leave me alone" :001_smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice