Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat cold and wet :-(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by hayleyhitchcock, Oct 12, 2013.

1. hayleyhitchcock

hayleyhitchcock PetForums Member

I just got home from work this morning and my neighbours cat was sat outside in the rain - I'm pretty sure he'd been out in it all night as he was soaked through.
    I thought about bringing him in to my house to dry him off and warm him up, but as I stroked him he took shelter in the doorway - I'm pretty sure he was asking me to let him in his house.
    I feel so bad for him. He often spends the nights outside, but in this awful weather it breaks my heart - especially when I think of my cat Nahla all snuggled up warm in her bed.
    That poor little cat :-(

2. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

*sigh* there's one in my street too :( he's a lovely, friendly boy (unfortunately him & Archie fight though as their territories are side by side) and he's out in all weathers .... all year :(

It breaks my heart seeing him out in the winter when it's freezing cold, wet AND windy (which goes straight through their coats) - hate the thought of him being out another cold winter but don't know what I can do to help?

3. Marycat

Marycat PetForums Senior

Perhaps you could provide a wooden box with some newspaper inside in a sheltered area in your garden? Not sure what else to suggest really? Before our stray moved in we installed a catflap in the shed so he had shelter but he was stray so it was different...Its a difficult one when you have your own cats because you have to weigh up the risks of upsetting them...
    Its a hard one xxx

4. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Funnily enough Marycat, Archie has a new kennel in the garden & I keep expecting to find Bailey in it at some point (there has been the odd visitor already!)

He probably would use it (and I'd be happy if he did) IF him & Archie got on BUT I don't really want him coming into my garden as the 2 of them fight terribly :(

I wish his owners would get him one .... it didn't cost that much and if you place it somewhere sheltered (and can shelter the entrance) it's really cosy in there

[​IMG]

ETA the base (which was the side of his old kennel!) has now been re-stained & I've also stained the kennel to hopefully make it last longer. I've 1/2 blocked the entrance and have a bit of old carpet on the floor and a nice fleece covered pillow in the sealed end ..... total luxury!

#4 Lilylass, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  5. hayleyhitchcock

hayleyhitchcock PetForums Member

There is a hutch outside for the cat with fresh newspaper in every day so the owner is looking after him well, so that makes me feel better - I guess he just didn't want to go in it.
    He's chubby and healthy so I guess I shouldn't worry too much - just makes me sad to see him all wet - I came in and gave Nahla a huge hug.

6. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

I hate seeing cats or any animal really, left outside in the wet and cold. Especially in the winter time :( it's so sad and I just want to take them home and fill their tummies and warm them up.

Maybe slip an anonymous note or even signed by you through your neighbors door, just warn them of some of the dangers of a cat left outside at night especially in the nights to come with winter setting in quickly.

There is this note/letter going around Facebook that says if it is too cold for you then it is too cold for them. That kind of thing.

7. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

At least he does have somewhere he can go then so that's something :)

I really wish that would work with my neighbour :( the dog / cat belonged to her OH before they got together & it's become abundantly clear she isn't an animal person :mad: - and who wears the trousers in the relationship :mad:

There have been others talking about it recently so I'm really hoping he may adopt someone else :) who will take care of him - it breaks my heart as I often see him sitting on their windowsill / doorstep when I take Maisie out in the mornings & it's been cold / wet etc. He's so friendly too & loves being petted .... but him / Archie ... would never work unfortunately :sad:

8. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

Maybe I am evil, but what if you called a cat protection type thing and told them it was a stray? maybe they'd lift it and give it to a proper home.

9. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Everywhere is full ... I know as I rang round when I was looking for Mia's new home - there's waiting lists everywhere ..... so sad :(

10. Mirx3

Mirx3 PetForums VIP

Kind of frustrates me.

More people need to adopt and stop letting their cats get pregnant/breed by being so irresponsible! do they not realize how they suffer?!

I hope someone takes these kitties in and give them a nice warm place to sleep.

11. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Poor little mite ... My Millie would never forgive me if she could nit get in ... We leave our garage door open a little just in case any poor mitten is about

12. Miss mousi

Miss mousi PetForums Junior

Problem is some cats don't come in/won't come in my cat is a house cat named moussi soft as Clarts and loves nothing better than been curled up on your knee getting pamperd

My parents cat tiddles is the opposite he's a big rough looking tom cat and when I lived there I used to stay up all hours trying to get him some time he would dart in but when he thought there was a chance to catch a mouse or anything like that there was no getting him in

I remember once I stayed up till about 2am shouting off him it was raining and very windy then I spotted him sitting under the patio table so I shouted him in wouldn't come in I got he's treats shook them wouldn't get in then I decided tht I would go and get him bear in mind I was in a pair of shorts and vest so just as I got the table he ran in the bushes and went

Sorry for the rant just wanted to point out sometimes certain cats won't have any of it and want to stay out no matter what my mam tries desperately to get him in just all depends how he feels really

13. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

miss mousi while I agree with you (and Archie is hardly ever in during the day either) Bailey does want in its awful to see

There was one day I heard yelling/screaming coming from her house and I honestly thought something horrific had happened but when I looked over to see what was going on - she was yelling at Bailey as he was in the house:(

If she doesn't like animals & doesn't want him in the house she could at least spend £50 or so & get him a decent shelter so hes got somewhere out the elements

14. Miss mousi

Yep definetly agree with you there some ppl shouldn't have pets

So does she just not let the cat in at all?

There is shelter outside for my mams cat where he can go to keep dry and keep the wind off if he wants in honestly I think Thts actually he's favourite place to be

15. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I can honestly say I have never seen him inside - day or night, all year he's outside

They used to live further down the street & he did get in then but I think that was when the guy lived on his own & now they're married & have moved (although only a few doors up:confused:) he never gets in now:(

16. Miss mousi

Now that is something I hate surely they could provide a little bit shelter for him even if it is as you said a rabbit hutch or even if there was a patio table and chairs with a cover over it really sad surely the bloke should grow a pair

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice