Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat chewing on power cables

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by PoisonIvy, Apr 25, 2011.

1. PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy PetForums Newbie

Morning!

First of all, apologies if this post seems stilted or abrupt. I am typing on my phone because my cat has yet again munched her way through my laptop power supply! I thought she'd grown out of it (she is a year old) but I forgot to put it away last night, and this morning I woke up to find I've got myself another £60 chew toy.

Obvs I'm partially to blame for leaving it out, but I'd like to break her of this habit. She's destroyed 3 of these now, along with 4 sets of headphones, and 2 mobile phone chargers!

Are there any sprays that work? Or will I have to wrap everything I own in foil?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

A rather dangerous as well as expensive obsession :eek: if she were to chew through a live wire :eek:
    You can get a bitter apple spray which is supposed to be effective. Put a search on google for a stockist. Pets at Home do one I think.

3. PoisonIvy

PoisonIvy PetForums Newbie

Luckily she seems to prefer unplugged cables. Maybe they make better toys with the free movement :confused: She does sometimes try it when I'm using the computer though. And the antenna on my wifi modem has little teeth marks all over it!

I will do a search for the bitter apple spray, thank you.

4. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Use cable covers or inexpensive pipe insulation covers or even just plastic tubing, slit down the side and fitted over the wires.

Amazon.com: 6' Foam Pipe Insulation: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: WATTS AVGE10 VINYL TUBING 1/4"ID3/8"OD10: Home Improvement

And when you see her chewing, distract her with a more appropriate toy. Never use any kind of toy that resembles wires of any kind. Don't count on her "preferring unplugged cables". I doubt she knows the difference and so far it's been pure luck that she has not been electrocuted.

5. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

My kittens chewed through an dust buster hoover that i had on charge left it out loads before never paid any intest came in later that day to find my wire in half i wasnt happy now i keep it away and charge it with the door shut :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice