Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat chewing fur/very bothered by some pain/itch

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Daisy Chapple, Mar 22, 2020.

1. Daisy Chapple

Daisy Chapple PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone! im new here. I have a 2 year old tabby named pixie. She’s had this problem on and off for her whole life, but it’s never been this bad before!
    here’s what happens:
    She licks and will then start biting at areas on her body quickly, like somethings bitten her.
    At first it was just the base of her tail, and after defleeing her and if not working, I took her to the vet. The vet said there were no parasites on her skin at all and no flaky skin, but her anal glands were full so she squeezed them and said it should get better.
    in the week I noticed she was chewing at other parts. Her flank, and a higher area on her tail. Also noticed she’s been scratching at her ears more.

I took her back to the vet and she said it could be allergies so have her a steroid shot and said it it works it’s allergies and if it doesn’t it’s behavioral.
    I’m stopping wheat food and moving onto the expensive stuff to see is that makes a difference.
    has anyone else had this problem before? she seems so uncomfortable and I’ve even gone as far as to shampoo her with cat shampoo in case she maybe walked through something and got in on her skin and made her itchy.

It sure looks like an allergy and not like obsessive licking because she turns to itch like somethings stung her/bit her but vet used UV lamp and saw no evidence of parasites.
    im just so upset for her! She’s my first cat and my quarantine buddy. What can I do to make her more comfortable?

should also mention she’s very unhappy for me to inspect those areas. Very friendly cat most of the time but gets very upset when I try to move her fur aside to look at the bald spots.

2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Look up Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome FHS (aka rolling skin syndrome).

See if this sounds like what your kitty might have.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Daisy Chapple and welcome :)

As lorilu said it could possibly be FHS. Certainly worth considering. I have had 2 cats with FHS, one of them is one of my current cats..

But itchy ears (when ear mites have been ruled out) are a common symptom of a food allergy. Vets say any itchiness on the head, face or neck can be a sign of a food allergy in cats. One of my cats (also called Pixie as it happens :) ) has controlled feline dermatitis due to food allergies. At its worst it was affecting his ears, neck, lower spine and tail. He has had no skin problems for 7 years now.

If your Pixie has an allergy to grains then cutting out all foods with grains should help. This should include cutting out rice, maize, oats, barley , not just wheat.

But it is possible also she has an allergy to one or more of the common meat protein, as well grains. The most common feline food allergens are chicken, beef and fish.

The only certain way to identify a food allergen in a cat is to put them on an elimination diet using a NOVEL PROTEIN. This is a food they have never eaten before. The diet is given for 8 to 10 weeks. Nothing else is allowed except filtered water. This diet calms the immune system.

At the end of the 8 - 10 weeks, you start stage 2 of the diet, which is to feed each regular protein in its own for 3 weeks, and keep a daily log of symptoms.

You may like to look at the pinned thread on elimination diets which explains in more detail and gives information about where to buy the novel and single protein foods if you are in the UK or Europe.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/elimination-diets.509821/

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice