Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat Chat Trivia

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Charity, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Do you ever want to say something but either don't want to start a new thread or it doesn't seem to fit into any others. Well, I thought I'd start this one so anyone can come and get anything they want off their chest. Doesn't have to be about cats necessarily.

I'll start. I've just been out to water my front garden and there are pigeon feathers everywhere. :( At least I know its not Bunty or Toppy, we get quite a few neighbouring cats in our garden or it could have been a fox. I went out this morning and I'm sure they weren't there then. We have a few young pigeons landing in our tree, hope its not one of those. RIP poor pigeon. :Arghh

Eilidh, KoolK, Summercat and 9 others like this.
  2. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Could be a bird of prey too, for that matter.

ewelsh, Puddy2shoes and Charity like this.
  3. Puddy2shoes

Puddy2shoes PetForums Member

Hi there Charity, in all the years where i currently live i have only ever seen 2 attacks on pigeons by other birds, one was by magpies and the other by a sparrowhawk, actually the first was a wood pigeon, with the sparrowhawk it was a collard dove, somehow this landed in my garden and i managed to grab it before the hawk got hold of it again and took it down to the vets but they couldn’t save it, recently though, red kites have been around in the area but i haven’t seen any attacks by them so far but what someone else told me was that gulls, and there’s a good few of them around here, have been seen attacking pigeons due to lack of any other food source, but also it could be a cat or even shot by an air gun and been got at subsequently, a fox couldn’t catch a pigeon could it, i’m not sure,...birds must be suffering a little at the moment too as the ground is so hard, I haven’t seen blackbirds for a little while they usually come worm pulling after i’ve cut the grass but god knows what’s happening to the worms in this heat and rock hard clay soil.

ewelsh and Charity like this.
  4. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Nice idea @Charity

Awww poor pigeon, they do fight for territory, could be that.

My pigeons are pooping over my gate daily! Very annoying!

KoolK, Cully, Puddy2shoes and 2 others like this.
  5. Charity

I have seen sparrowhawks occasionally so that's possible.

Puddy2shoes likes this.
  6. Trixie1

Trixie1 PetForums VIP

Aaaahh!! Poor pigeon:( I’ve seen so many dead birds around at the moment its heart breaking!! Having moved from London to the country it amazes me how laidback they are. They seem to just stroll across the road or fly to low and cars will not slow down but just hit them and I’m not talking about the M25 here these are very quite country roads.

Puddy2shoes likes this.
  7. blkcat

blkcat PetForums Member

We have seagulls here that eat pigeons alive. It's a horrific thing to see, but there's not much you can do for them. Neighbour has taken a few of them to the vet, but they just put them down.

#7 blkcat, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Eilidh and Puddy2shoes like this.
  8. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I have a sparrowhawk that visits my garden regularly. Often picks off the young or vulnerable pigeons and sometimes the sparrows. I hate it, but have to keep telling myself it nature and the food chain :(

NFC slave and Puddy2shoes like this.
  9. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Excellent thread idea - I often have little snippets I want to post that don't seem worth starting a whole new thread for. Or for which I don't have a photo so can't go in that other thread.

10. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Nice idea @ Charity. You must have read my mind. Has anyone studied numerology? For example, tried mixing up the letters in their full name, to make up other words; I find you can learn a lot about people by the words you get from the spelling of their name! Words from my name include I love cats! Cat lover etc.
    So pleased I’ve got that off my chest. Hope some of you give it a go! :D

KoolK, huckybuck and ewelsh like this.
  11. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

We have two baby seagulls nesting on the house two doors away, balls of grey fluffy down at the moment that’s all they are, the parents come and get fresh water from our bird baths for them. I guess the sea is a bit salty to drink ;) Oscar has figured out there are baby great tits in one of our nesting boxes, he sits and gazes up at it but can’t get anywhere near as there’s netting up the tree trunk, so it’s a no go zone. I’ve told him not to have a face off with mother seagull, as he will come off worse, so he sits on the lawn watching her drink and makes a funny little squeak at her when he’s in pounce position. Terrifying. Ahem.

Cully and ChaosCat like this.
  12. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Does anyone else get a bit irritated that people come onto the forum to ask for advice (often regarding very serious medical issues) and then never return with an update? I’d like to know that 1) their cat is ok and 2) what happened so I can try to learn. I’m sure sometimes there’s been a sad outcome and people can’t face writing about what’s happened (of course I completely understand that) but most of the time that is hopefully not the case and an update would be appreciated.

Oh and don’t get me started on the “my cat is pregnant and I want help and advice but you can all sod off and stop bullying me when you tell me to have her spayed” contingent.

Thanks @Charity i feel much better now :)

13. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

It gets me irritated, too. Basic good behaviour to just come back and say how things went.

And it really annoys me when people think forums are a service offered for their needs- for free, of course. So the servants there are to give the advice mistress or master like to hear but else keep their mouth shut. I often wonder whether those people act in such a demanding and rude way in real life, too.

14. Charity

Are you finding it difficult to sleep in this hot weather? I'm not a good sleeper at the best of times so this isn't helping. I think I finally got off about 1.30 last night. Any good tips for getting to sleep or what do you do if you can't sleep?

15. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

In an attempt to keep the flat cool I'm keeping the curtains closed during the day ! I do have a tower fan in my bedroom that has a timer so I can set it to run for an hour which is usually long enough for me to get off to sleep - then if I need the loo in the night (which invariably I do) I can reset it for a further period of time. I'm one of those people who has to have a covering at night so I'm only using a thin sheet at the moment - mind you I'd probably be cooler if a certain little 4 legged furry creature didn't insist on spending the night on my bed :eek: However, despite all my best efforts I'm probably only getting 4 or 5 hours sleep at night so I am taking a siesta in the afternoons !

But if I can't sleep anyway I get up and do some chores whilst it's cooler - stuff like the ironing, which, by the way, I HATE(seriously thinking of paying someone to do it for me). I've even been going to the supermarket as soon as they open and as my garden is in full sun most of the day I've been watering it long before the sun is up :D

Clairabella and huckybuck like this.
  16. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

I keep all the curtains closed in the day too, it makes a big difference. I have a fan on all night as this heat is unbearable for me as I'm a hot person and have too much extra insulation! :rolleyes:

Ali71, huckybuck and ewelsh like this.
  17. NFC slave

NFC slave PetForums Senior

Take care when the young seagulls are leaving the nest, the adults can be evil in their protection of the young. I live in a coastal town, and one little bit of the town becomes a no go area because they have young up on a chimney stack, and the parents dive down on passers by to protect the young. Seagulls really hurt when they attack

18. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Oh this is interesting! How do I work out my name? Should it be my maiden name, including my middle names or my married name?
    Mine will probably be “drama magnet” :D

Clairabella and TriTri like this.
  19. Charity

I've got blackout curtains which are shut all day too. We've only got an ordinary fan which someone has to get up and shut off before they drop off, I keep trying to persuade my OH to get one of the tower ones but to no avail. I've just bought a 1 tog duvet which is OK most nights until its really hot. Thankfully, I don't have furry hot water bottles to contend with. :) I get about 4-5 hours a night as well though on bad nights it can be as little as 2-3.:Yawn I get up and get a cuppa, talk to the cats and sometimes end up sleeping on my recliner chair until morning.

Clairabella and huckybuck like this.
  20. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I was hoovering the car last night and found a dead pigeon. It was young and not mauled by moggies so I am unsure what happened.
    It seemed very dry / leathery which I didn’t expect in the heat( sorry) . It can’t have been there long.

I get narky when people (new) get uppity about advice. I also worry if I feel people are avoiding the vet by getting advice here. The classic needing temporary pet housing also isn’t great. I always try to be welcoming as sometimes the poster needs to give their head a wobble and realise the error of their ways but hopefully be advised and come back again for help.

I left a raw group and MC group on FB as some of the comments were just awful and hectoring. CC is a great place even when we have a bit of a do!

Take care everyone. I haven’t got the patience to work out words from my name but then again I don’t do chess, crosswords or word games! X

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice