Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat changed to bland diet. Not pooping?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Louise Macdonald, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Louise Macdonald

Louise Macdonald PetForums Newbie

A little background here. We recently adopted a black cat with FIV called Bjorn. Not long after he got his second lot of vaccinations he started with terrible diarrhea. We went to a vet and got it treated (I can't remember the name, but it made helped form it into something less liquidy)

Anyway, on the very last day of medicine we found blood in his Stool, which was primarily liquid. Panicking, we took him back to the vet who asked what brand we were on, told us it might be too rich for him and suggested a chicken only diet. Which we have done. That was Tuesday.

It's now Friday morning, and aside from peeing he hasn't appeared to pass stool. Were out the house for roughly 10hrs so we don't know if he's trying when we aren't there, but he doesn't appear to need to when we are there. He still has an appetite and is still using his box for peeing.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

Do you mean a single protein chicken only cat food? Or are you feeding him cooked or raw plain chicken. If it’s the latter, I’m pretty sure the vet wouldn’t have intended you to keep him on chicken permanently as it isn’t a complete food with all the nutrients cats need. Vets often will advise feeding a bland food such as plain chicken for a few days to allow a cat’s stomach recovery time, then gradually introduce cat food back, little by little. If you wanted to feed it permanently I believe there are made up mixes you can add, but I’ve personally never used them.

If you now think your cat is constipated one way of adding fibre to their diet is to add a little fresh stewed or canned pumpkin to their food. Take care to find just 100% pumpkin, not a pie filler with sugar etc added. It’s quite difficult to find in uk supermarkets, but I got some in Waitrose. When I’ve opened a tin I just freeze it in ice cube trays, then put in a freezer bag. I defrost one cube a day to use. They can hardly taste it so it shouldn’t put them off. One of mine has it added permanently as he’s on a renal diet and it constipates him.

If he becomes really bunged up, you would need to go back to the vet. The vet can give medicine for that, or even an enema if necessary.

moggie14 likes this.
  3. Louise Macdonald

It's just for a few days, to give his stomach time to settle from the diarrhea. Our intention is to swap back over to a wet cat food eventually.

4. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Again it's not a complete food but something that is helpful for the pumpkin factor is Applaws Chicken & Pumpkin, which can be bought either as small tins or pouches in Pets at Home. Not for permanent use but we always have some in stock to just help things settle one way or the other ;)

5. Louise Macdonald

Thank you
    I just find it strange that we switched him to chicken only and NOTHING? Apart from Pee.

We're looking for a cat food that isn't rich this weekend to get him back onto properly cat food

6. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Well he has probably had a good ol’ clear out, and plain chicken does really slow the bowel down. Sometimes too much so he could have a bit of constipation. Keep an eye on it!

chillminx likes this.
  7. Louise Macdonald

Will do! Got my partner looking for some canned pumpkin to add in until we can get to Pets at Home!

8. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

He won't want to poo anywhere near as much because his body is utilising all of the chicken. There's no waste.

9. bethany_hannah

bethany_hannah PetForums Member

My cat did this! Poorly stomach and pooing every few hours. Fed him just plain fish / chicken and didn’t poo for days but then started as normal. I can’t remember how many days but it was long enough to be concerned. Hopefully it’ll be the same for you, but do listen to the other recommendations for pumpkin etc as constipation could be dangerous too. If I remember rightly mine did a normal poo when I went to the shop to buy pumpkin... typical!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice