Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat CBD?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by JessMcL, Sep 21, 2018.

1. JessMcL

JessMcL Slave to a clowder

Hello everyone, for anyone that's seen my posts before you might remember that I have a little fur baby called Merlot. Merlot was kept in a room by himself with no human contact 12 hours a day up until the age of 12 weeks, because of this he is sadly quite an anxious cat. We rescued him and he has come a long way since being under my care, he now completely trusts my husband and I, and just this week he has completely relaxed with another person in the house for the first time. I've worked out that new males in the house cause anxiety to him, I've read that the pitch of male humans voices can be out of cats natural hearing levels which can cause anxiety. He no longer hides when cars go past our house, and the majority of the time he is okay with voices outside now too. I've tried natural treatments and Zylkene, which have helped to a degree but he still is anxious of people, and it's not uncommon to find him hiding under my duvet :( i can manage to tempt him out with treats, and if that doesn't work then i end up in the bed with him until he's happier.

Anyway, the reason for this post is because i'm wondering if there's anyone here that's in the UK that's given their cats CBD? i've read quite a bit and i'm hopeful it could help Merlot with his anxiety, so i'd love some advice.

Attached Files:

#1 JessMcL, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. Lula10101

Lula10101 PetForums Junior

Never tried CBD for cats....my vet was just talking to me about someone enquiring about CBD for dogs though. She said she couldn't find any research on it in dogs, so wasn't able to advise her client one way or the other.

Valerian can be good - have you tried that? You can get valerian toys from Zooplus for a couple of pounds, and that is supposed to help relax cats (and humans - I think they put it in sleep remedies for us!)

Hopefully with some TLC, and a lot of time, he will learn that he is safe and continue to get more relaxed.

If you find anything about CBD, or try it and have any success, please update the thread.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @JessMcL - great photos of your handsome boy. :)

The problem with giving CBD is that production is not currently subject to strict, reliable controls in manufacture, so one would not know if one was giving the cat the dose stated.

I wouldn't give my own cats CBD, but would much prefer to use a veterinary calming product that has been tried and tested and known to be safe.

Different products suit different cats. My anxious boy responds well to a course of Zylkene for a month. Other cats may respond better to Yucalm which contains a different calming ingredient to Zylkene.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lintbells-...0&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=yucalm+for+cats&psc=1

Pet Remedy diffusers are useful as calmers,(we use them a lot at the shelter in the pens of anxious cats.

Beaphar calming spot on liquid placed on the back of the cat's head is also helpful in some cases.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice