Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat carrier advice please!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Princessiona, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Princessiona

Princessiona PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I am hoping to get a cat and kitten on friday and I want to make sure the journey home is as comfortable and least traumatic as possible for them. Can anyone recommend a good cat carrier for them? They are a mother and daughter and I'm planning to put them both in the same carrier as I'm sure it will be nicer for them if they are together. They are maine coons so the mother will be a big cat so a large carrier is needed. We will have a 4 and a half hour journey home so I think it's very important they are as comfy as possible.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Iona

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

I think most solid carriers would be okay? I have a Gulliver carrier that I struggle to lift with my growing Maine Coon. I was told she escaped from it by my sister but I think she didn't close it correctly as my cat would have to be the Einstein of cats to work out how to squeeze it open ...

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_carriers_travel/cat_carriers_kennels

Many of them would be great.

3. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Oh yeah, enjoy! I am getting my new kitten on Friday too. :D

4. FREE SPIRIT

FREE SPIRIT PetForums VIP

5. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

I think for a long journey they should go in seperate carriers...for more space to stretch out...they might get sick or poop/wee...you dont want it going over both cats...

This is just my opinion...

6. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

They will most certainly poo/wee or both in the carrier so seperate will probs be best but make sure they can see each other and maybe have some toys for comfort xx

7. Princessiona

Hi all,

Thanks very much for the advice! Is there anything else I should put in their carrier other then a couple of toys?

Iona

8. Mr Gizmo

Mr Gizmo Body of a Buddah.

Bearing in mind the length of the jouney I think you should stop at least twice and take them out of the car for a little fresh air.Also you may have to clean the carrier during the stops as well.

9. Inge

Inge PetForums Junior

Congratulations on your new cats. I am reading what the others are writing here and there are some good valid advise. Being that it's a little bit of a drive you can get one of those not so big litterboxes to put in the nice carrier you got for them, but don't be suprised if they don't use it at all...If it was me, I wouldn't stop or make breaks unless you are picking up cats that have the tendency to get carsick. The more stops you make the longer it will take to get them to their new home.
    When we drive for show, it happens that the cats are in their carriers for longer than 4½ hours, and I've yet to have any of my cats use the bathroom while we're on the way. If they did, I'd stop and empty out the litterbox, but then get on the road again...
    If the weather is really hot and your car don't have A/C try to make sure the sun don't shine directly on the carrier so it gets even warmer. Offer them some water, but hold off on the food - as that can make them carsick.

I wish you all the best and will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your new cats.

10. audrey1824

audrey1824 PetForums Senior

I would put them in separate carriers for a long journey, but make sure they can see each other, to keep them calm, sprinkle a little liquid Avena Sativa in the carriers, it's available from Health food shops.

11. Princessiona

Thanks for the advice all! I think I will be more nervous bringing them home then they will be!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice