Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat care advice while I’m away on vacation? Please! :)

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kyaviana, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Kyaviana

Kyaviana PetForums Junior

Hello, I’m just trying to plan ahead for the traveling I know I’ll have to do for the holidays! I’m a first time cat owner- rescued a 6 mo. old kitten some time ago

For a few days in November and for about a week in December I’ll have to visit my family which is about a six hour drive from where I live. My family has one elderly, female cat, she’s relatively friendly and keeps to herself

What are my options? Should I board him or take him with me? Could I leave him alone in the house with food and water? I worry that my kitten will be unhappy in a confined space during boarding and/or be overwhelmed by all the other animals there. I could take my kitten with me, we’ve made a 6 hour drive before with some stopping, he was pretty calm. But will the trip make him unsettled/anxious because we have to drive back and forth? And again, a month later?

I know cat sitting is another option but I’m just not really comfortable with it, and I would worry about my kitten escaping onto the busy road

Thank you in advance, sorry if these are silly questions!

huckybuck likes this.
  2. LJC675

LJC675 PetForums VIP

Do you not have a decent cattery near you, this would be your best option, your cat would be safe and secure and there will be someone to keep an eye on him. Leaving him alone is not an option, what if something happens? Plus he will be very confused and lonely.

chillminx likes this.
  3. huckybuck

huckybuck Cat Chat Friend

I think he’s young enough to try a decent cattery.

Do your homework and research/visit a few. Get recommendations if possible. You can always try him for one night as a trial too.

Make sure you can take things that smell of home and you can get him on some calming supplements before you go.

An alternative is to speak to your vets and see if any of the nurses do live in cat sitting.

chillminx likes this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I agree with the others, a cattery would be best for your kitten and you as you wouldn't have the worry of him being at home on his own or travelling with him which could be stressful. Most young cats adapt pretty well to being in a cattery and he will be in a pen on his own but with the cattery staff checking on him constantly. I would say definitely no to leaving him at home on his own without someone being there or looking in regularly. If you go down the cattery route, make sure you pick a good one and if you have any concerns when you visit, don't go with it.

chillminx likes this.
  5. Kyaviana

Thank you for the advice! I’ll definitely do my research about catteries near me!

6. Kyaviana

Thank you! I’ll drfinitely look into those options!

7. Kyaviana

Thanks, I figured, that’s why I was asking for advice.

LJC675 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice