UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know there are a lot of threads about this and for the record, I'm not asking about my own cats--they are neutered boys and I'm firmly aware that they would not be in heat! haha.

But as I am genuinely ignorant as to what a cat call involves and how cats in heat act, I have to resort to you all to see if anyone can help me out here.

This morning at about 6:15am we heard a loud YOWL! from a cat outside. This was the first time my husband definitely heard the yowl that I've been hearing periodically for about a week now.

We looked into the garden and despite it being quite dark out we could make out a white splodge by the fence. We knew it must be the same calico cat we've seen in our garden on a daily basis for the last week or so. It's been hanging out there quite a bit lately, but appears well fed so I wasn't concerned about it being a stray. I also was fairly confident I had noticed it about the neighbourhood a while ago (but not recently).

Well, I've heard the yowl a few times but only a one off here and there. Like one yowl, then maybe a half hour later another yowl. Then the cat usually moves on. This morning it did yowl a second time before we left for work (at about 6:35am) and then the cat moved on to another garden.

Is this a cat calling because it is in heat, or is this just a cat calling trying to hang out with her mates? haha. I really am ignorant about this!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
My cat recently came out of heat, it was all night yowling, chirruping, purring etc! For around 6-7 nights. She would roll around on the floor a lot (showing her tummy) crouch in the position to be mated and generally stick her tail up and her bottom in your face at every opportunity! :p

When she did 'call' she would do a short but loud yowl/miaow and her ears would kind of go sideways if that makes sense?!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone, I'm leaning towards a cat calling for its mates as it's definitely not been 'presenting' itself in a mating-type of way. Sooo I guess we just have a really loud cat in the neighbourhood!! :rolleyes:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.