Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat brought shrew into home with ticks

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ivan Kennes, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Ivan Kennes

Ivan Kennes PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

We're feeling conflicted about one of or cats whose killer instinct has gone awol find we moved to the countryside.
    Long story short, she's been bringing in hundreds of kills and live specimens this past year - mostly shrews - but just crossed a new line of grossness by bringing in a live shew covered in half a dozen ticks!!!
    Has anyone found an effective method to stop their car from catching shrews at all?
    Our household has a baby assigns a toddler in it so ticks are a total no no.
    We've already hung corks from her collar which has stopped her from catching any more rabbits but the shrews just keep coming.
    Any advice gratefully appreciated.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi Ivan, welcome to PF :)
    I'm no expert, but cats are efficient hunters, especially of rodents. It's what we humans have asked of them for most of our co-existence so it's perfectly normal for your pet cat to still fulfill her inherited instincts.
    The only way I know of to keep her from killing rodents is to keep her indoors or in a secured garden area. Though in a garden area I'm sure she could still catch prey, just won't be as much, especially once she kills off the population in the enclosure.
    One of our cats is an excellent mouser (which I appreciate), and she has to ask to come in, there is no free coming and going. Otherwise she will bring in her prey to play with. Always fun at 3 am to wake up to the cat and her new toy :rolleyes: But this may not be feasible for you and your set-up.

As for ticks on the shrew, honestly, I wouldn't worry. My own kids have been around ticks since they were toddlers and seem okay to me :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice