Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat brought in ticks. Do I need to treat the house?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by karen_ok, Feb 23, 2017.

1. karen_ok

karen_ok PetForums Newbie

Hi all. Brunty picked up a number of small sesame seed sized ticks on his ears. We suspect this was actually from a bed that we brought in that was being stored out in our garage. I feel really bad since that means we probably did it to him! :(

In any case, he is going to vets first thing tomorrow morning to have them removed (I didn't trust myself as they're so small).

What I wanted to know, however, is do we need to now worry about ticks in the house? The cat bed and the throw that it was sitting on have now both been put in the outdoor bin. Brunty is being isolated to a spare room overnight (sorry little friend!) in case any of them drop off - same room that the cat bed was in.

I'm just worried in case any of them have dropped off into carpets/beds/sofas. Do we need to treat anything or are they unlikely to survive?

Thanks,
    K

2. karen_ok

karen_ok PetForums Newbie

UPDATE:

Took Brunty to the vet today. Apparently they are not ticks but stickfast fleas (gross!!!) - the vet applied a harsh spot-on flea killer to the back of his neck and our other cat will get a dose too.

The vet said due to the nature of these fleas (they literally stick to the host with their mouths and are hard to get off) they are unlikely to infest the house, but I wonder if there are precautions that we should take? I read on another side that female stickfast fleas can lay 12 eggs a night on the host animal. :S

Any advice would be appreciated.

3. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Sorry you didn't receive reply, bumping up a bit for some attention :)
    I've never heard of these fleas! Thanks for the heads up! As they are fleas and not ticks, I would recommend treating the house with a decent spray (eg Indorex) just to be on the safe side.

4. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

And vacuum relentlessly for three weeks to make sure you break the breeding cycle, just in case.

moggie14 likes this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Sticktight (or Stickfast) fleas often infect poultry but can be picked up by cats or dogs. Definitely as said ^^ treat your house with household insecticide to get rid of eggs that have fallen off the female flea.

6. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

I'd recommend 4fleas spray, they also do tablets that start killing fleas in fifteen minutes or so to get rid of the immediate problem. And as above, vacuum vacuum vacuum.

7. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

As above, it can't hurt to treat & vacuum lots. They sound like nasty little things, best not to take any risks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice