Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat breeding

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kerrymac84, Jun 13, 2010.

1. kerrymac84

kerrymac84 PetForums Newbie

Hi

I have been considering/looking into breeding cats for a while now.
    I have researched the breed, and read up as much as I can find. Some seemed like sound advice, some a little questionable.

I would be truly greatful of any advice/insight given, particularly where do I start?

Thanks
    Kerry

2. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

If you post in the cat breeding section i'm sure u'll get loads of advise.

3. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

Make sure you have lots and lots and lots of money and time

4. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

It's best to start with a show neuter of your chosen breed so you can be familiar with them first hand first.

5. dharma66

dharma66 PetForums Senior

You say you've researched the breed, so this implies that you haven't owned that breed before. Have you owned any pedigree cats? Or even better, show cats?

If not, you are frankly unlikely to find anyone willing to sell you a cat on the active register as your first cat.

If you haven't shown, then the advice about a show neuter is good. You should probably expect to spend a couple of years showing neuter, getting to know the score and getting to know other breeders before thinking about owning breeding queens yourself. I assume you are only thinning about queens at this stage, and not studs, as they are an order of commitment above even queens.

6. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yes you need to find a cat first, one you like preferably.

If the thought of showing fills you with fear you need to research that cat until you can research no more, to (hopefully) prove to the cat breeder you want to improve on the breed of your choice. Shows are good so you can see what you are aiming for with the breed.

You also needs lots of money, time, be prepared to cry quite a lot unless you are fairly hardfaced, :D, in-fact if I were you I would possibly start putting away money monthly just now as it is very expensive.

Space is another thing, you need to ensure you have a room for the kittens and mum, or somewhere safe for them to be if you are out of the house.

Best of luck.

7. tillyfloss11

tillyfloss11 PetForums Junior

:thumbup:Just backing up everyone else - You will need LOTS of money, and some more!

It is not a cheap thing to get into...rough estimate, we have paid over a thousand pounds for two queens, who have both turned out to have to be spayed, which was just total bad luck!

So we have had to get replacement queens, which has cost us another thousand, plus the cost of spaying, vet bills, travelling to our breeder and mentor 3 hours away, and all of the heartache!

Not even adding to the food, toys, beds, treats, wormer, flea treatments, brushes, and all of the other things that cost on a daily/monthly basis!

Its not for the fainthearted, and if you are in it for the money I can think of other things to earn a lot more, easier!!

However, if you have the money and time and truly love cats and your chosen breed then Id start by owning a neuter and getting used to their traits, look and personality etc!:thumbup:

Tilly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice