Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cat breeding?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by DKDREAM, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Who thinks we should have a ruel on the forum where we can only offer advice if a cat becomes pregnant? I personally feel we should because cats are so good at getting out when in call.

2. alisondalziel

alisondalziel PetForums VIP

Hiya.
    I don't really understand what you're saying, but the breeding section deals with everything related to that topic.

3. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

There have been several topics where cats have escaped outside while in season, and thus have become pregnant. Most of the threads generally have lots of helpful advice, but there is the odd person that comes into the thread and puts down the OP with rather harsh wording, which isn't needed at all.

I don't go into the Breeding forum a lot, so I don't know if such occurrences are common. I think if its the odd person or two that are being unhelpful, then they can be largely ignored unless they are being downright abusive (then someone can get the banhammer out!).

4. malibu

malibu Guest

Completly agree, i've only just registered and i've noticed some harsh comments.

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Maybe I am thick but what is the op asking the rule to be? :confused:

6. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

I think they are asking for people to actually be helpful in the threads, in light of some of the rude responses. Essentially "if you got nothing useful to say, don't say it at all" :) I was under the impression that this was an unspoken rule on these forums, regardless?

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yeah I would be up for that! :)

8. rhian d

rhian d PetForums Senior

i think that is a good idea most of the time people post a new thread for advice on what to do for the best for thier cat and kittens, not get loads of abuse about why the cat got pregnant in the first place.

9. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

im just asking what you all feel about it, as I have been in this situation myself although my girl didnt get out, I know how guilty i felt and how stressed i was inside, I think geniune people need help and support. I just think we should all pull together and help when we can at the end of the day we all have one thing in common, a love of animals.

ChinaBlue likes this.
  10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

:thumbup:

All I can say is thank you everyone who has given me such great advice, you know who you are :)

11. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I'm sorry but arent we all missing the point here - and that is about educating people to have their pets neutured/speyed?? Wouldn't a sticky on this subject be more vital/important? So that in the event of one escaping they wont 'accidently' fall pregnant... just a thought...:confused:

Taylorbaby likes this.
  12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

No, the POINT is those who do accidentally have a cat fall pregnant are not attacked when they come here for advice. I'm not talking about people who deliberately breed without tests or people who just let their girls out whenever and wherever. I'm talking about people who do care and want to do the best they can now they're in this situation.

13. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

No that's not the point, we have to respect not everyone wants to neuter their pets, I haven't neuterd Pumpkin.... why? because i simply dont want to, I don't wish to breed him and hes a house cat so won't roam, what harm is that?

14. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

The problem unfortunately is that sometimes cats manage to escape time and time again.

One accidental litter in perfectly believable but it's not uncommon for people to then post a few weeks later saying that it has happened again. After the first few times it becomes very hard to believe that it was an accident and not deliberate. That's why members sometimes jump on the poster demanding an explanation as to why their cat was not spayed.

I'm not saying it's the right way to respond, and I'm sure lots of accidental pregnancies are just that. But I can understand the frustration when you see it over and over again.

Personally I think this forum is for education and to advise people on how best to care for their pets. Admittedly that message is sometimes lost in the harsh comments and criticism but unfortunately people communicate and understand in different ways...

hobbs2004 and Taylorbaby like this.
  15. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I second that having been in that situation. Its not nice, i was fortunate to have a few people who helped me through it and to this day I still thank them.

16. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I am not on about those who have repeat matings am I? but having had an accidental litter once I feel for people who care and get jumped on. if it happend again to the same cat then that seems like to me the owners dont care because I know when meeko got caught I watched her like a hawlk to insure it wouldnt happen again.

17. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Agreed! I'm not saying it's right to attack. :) I'm just saying I can understand the frustration. This is a very large forum with a very high turnover of members and it is very easy to lose track to whose cat has had what kittens. As a result some people just react strongly whenever they see the phrase "accidentally escaped" or "unplanned pregnancy".

I'm not for name calling and accusations (I find it very counter productive) but education should be a top priority. :)

We've all been on the harsh end of some peoples comments at some point. When I first joined and mentioned my interest in breeding, I got a whole range of responses from helpful and supportive to patronising and rude. :( You just have to learn to take the rough with the smooth...

18. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

I can understand what your saying and respect your views. I can take the rough with the smooth too but when meeko got pregnant I found it a very emotional thing to deal with, I went through Guilt and everything i felt like a bad owner and i know what it felt like, I think what i'm basically saying is people should be more sympathetic to genuine people.

Milly22 likes this.
  19. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Thanks and I see where you're coming from too. Take heart in knowing that you're a good owner and that your cats love you. That's what's important. Who cares what a bunch of strangers on an internet forum think :eek: And for every person that made a bad comment I bet you had three which helped and supported you.

Unfortunately the genuinely bad or misguided owners still need to be advised and it is often the innocent to get hurt in the crossfire. :( xx

DKDREAM and Milly22 like this.
  20. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I'm sorry but i dont get this 'accidently' fall pregnant thing - cats WILL get out if they're in call - this is proven by the amount of 'accidental' pregnancies! I am NOT having a go and I totally dont think you're a bad owner or that you love your cat any less but if you dont want your cat to get pregnant then thats when i think it should be speyed/neutured... And by saying 'you' i mean anyone who has had this issue re accidental pregnancies and not neutering their pets.

There are potential health problems if you dont neuter/spey... and if you're not planning on breeding then I personally see no reason not to neuter/spey.

There are soooo many threads that pop up with 'accidental pregnancy' issues and i just think the key here is educating people about the major issue of neutering your pet! IMO there is really NO reason not to do so - unless you are planning on breeding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice