Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat breed suggestions?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Amelia66, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

Hello cat chat!

Don't come here very often, but thought you guys would be able to help me. So me and OH have often discussed having a cat in the future, and even tho it would still be in the future im wondering if you could give me some suggestions on suitable breeds, or your favourite breeds and why.

Mainly we the only issue is we have two toy breed dogs, so breeds that generally get on with others would be great [although i know it would never be a guarantee and would need slow introductions to them]
    We also both work full time, but one of us comes home at lunch to let the dogs out. So would need to be ok with being left home for some periods of time.

We have toyed with the idea of a Maine Coon, but im not sure how practical that would be. Are there any big downsides to them?

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Maine Coons are beautiful but can grow to quite impressive sizes and do need a fair bit of grooming. They are however (generally) very docile and get along happily.
    If you aren't sure of what breed you would like I'd suggest going along to a cat show to see the different breeds and talk to some breeders. Personally I have always adored Siamese - they are such chatty, sociable cats but can be very naughty, curious about everything. They do like a lot of attention though so I would say not suitable to be left all day even with a couple of dogs for company.
    All cats have their own appeal and you could always go down the rescue route :Cat:Cat

3. Bluefluffybirmans

Bluefluffybirmans Fluffy cat tamer

I have birmans, very friendly and sociable, fluffy but only need a good comb once or twice a week. Bit dippy, so loving and can imagine they'd love the dogs for company. They love my toddler son, if he lies on the floor they try and groom him!
    Plus, those gorgeous little white feet :)

Amelia66 likes this.
  4. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

grooming isn't too much of an issue as both the dogs require regular grooming.
    Cat shows look like a good idea. Will have to do a bit of research into that to see if there are any near me/ easy to drive too.

Rescue is definitely an option we haven't fully looked into yet.

5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I'd first narrow down things like high or low energy, very social or more aloof, grooming.

I love high energy, outgoing, friendly, sociable breeds, which barely shed and don't require grooming. Ocicats and Singapura's are perfect for me, they love cuddles, tummy rubs, easily trained, highly intelligent, cheeky, get along very well with cats, dogs, birds, rabbits etc. They're hilarious bouncing off the walls playing, loads of fun to have around.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  6. lymorelynn

Staff Member

If you look on the GCCF website you'll find a show list to check if there is one fairly local to you. members of the public are usually allowed in from about 1pm after the main judging has taken place. If you are in the Birmingham area the Supreme Cat Show at the NEC in October is excellent and is open to the public from the morning as judging is done differently.

7. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If you get a pedigree make sure it is registere
    Very good advice. For people who like the sort of cats SC does, Siamese, Orientals, Burmese and just about anything in the Foreign section (where the Ocicats are in the UK) would fit the bill.

Two of my kittens went to a home with two rescue German Shephard dogs last year. It was clear the women who owned them understood the issues of introducing the kittens to the dogs, all went well and I've had some lovely photos of the cats cuddling up with the dogs. If your dogs are really well behaved and under control then a cat or kitten will be fine, but you have to be sure you can stop the dogs chasing.

Personally I would always avoid some breeds as they have problems with HCM. Since it doesn't usually show until the cat is several years old, it is very hard for breeders to reduce the incidence of it. Whatever breed you decide on, find out what health checks are required and make sure the breeder is doing them. For my breed (Orientals & Siamese) the only check is for PRA, which is a simple DNA test.

8. Amelia66

Amelia66 PetForums VIP

The supreme cat shows sounds like a great idea! Not close to it, but its not a million miles away either. So thats defiantly something to think about.

This is why its in the future as one of our dogs is still very young, and very excitable currently. Our older dog however has been around cats when she was a puppy so she is actually fairly used to them.

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

10. lymorelynn

Staff Member

They will on here too ;)

spotty cats likes this.
  11. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

You definitely need to narrow it down to what sort of personality and appearance you like. Do you want a lively, talkative cat that wants to be involved in everything you do or a more chilled out furry? Do you like the slender appearance of orientals or a chunkier body type? long hair or short hair?

Once you've got an idea of what you are looking for in a breed you will be able to shortlist it to a few breeds. cat shows are definitely good for seeing cats in the fur and talking to breeders. Try looking online at breed club websites too.

I have 2 Somalis and they are adorable. I'd recommend them to anyone. Very people orientated, have to be involved in everything you do, lively and inquisitive but not as hyper as some of the oriental breeds.

Of course if you know what sort of temperament you're after but you're not too fussed about a pedigree, a rescue cat would be a great choice. The rescue would be able to help you choose a kitten/cat that they think would be ok with dogs.

spotty cats likes this.
  12. BritishBilbo

BritishBilbo I work with cats + I live with cats. I like cats.

I've worked with a lot of different breeds at work and my lifestyle is not to dissimilar too yourselves. I have one old toy dog and myself and partner are both full time. However i often finish at 12 and my partner is usually home by 2/3. I absolutely adore Siamese & British Shorthairs (complete opposites or what!). Out of the two i've opted for a British as with the amount of time i'm potentially out, it wouldn't suit a Siamese. Hopefully later in life when i know i'll be home more I shall get my dream Siamese puss!

British Shorthairs have the soft, sweet and friendly nature but also have that independant streak, they don't need us to be with them 24/7. I'm picking my boy up in October!

In my experience with Maine Coons at work, they're quite happy to get on with things and look after themselves, whereas the orientals are sat at the doors meowing for my affection!

Happy breed hunting!

lymorelynn and Cerijoanne like this.
  13. ALR

ALR PetForums VIP

I thought about the same thing you have - what breed is right for me? I don't have dogs but hubby and I are at work during the day. I think for that reason a more laid back breed would suit - Maine Coon, Ragdoll, BSH, Birman etc. They are all laid back, friendly cats that might not be too fazed with having dogs around as well - as long as the dogs are well behaved, otherwise they'd need to be taught a lesson:rolleyes:.

Also breeds are indoor cats (unless you have a cat proof garden or train them on a leash). So you need to think about how much time you have to exercise them with interactive play when you are home as well.

14. Cerijoanne

Cerijoanne Sweetie & Prince mum...Ceri www.cerijoanne.co.uk

Rag dolls are also very needy, no good if your working all day :)

ALR likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice