Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat breathing

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Naomi Smith, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Naomi Smith

Naomi Smith PetForums Junior

Hi, please see the attached video. Eric is 10, nearly 11 and I rescued him in February. He is currently on an elimination diet for potential allergies as he scratches a lot.

My main concern is his breathing sometimes. If you skip in the video to 1:06 you can see what I mean. He does this randomly and then will be fine for the rest of the day. It’s usually in the morning and then fine for the rest of the day although his purr is always very loud.

Hes been doing this since I got him and it doesn’t seem to have got any worse, but hasn’t got better either. He has FIV so I know he will be prone to illnesses more than most other cats, but is a house cat so hopefully this will be limited.

I’ve asked the Vet about it a few times on visits and have been told that he just “has a strange purr” and that he’s fine.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? The shelter told me I didn’t need to worry either as I was originally fostering him.

Could it be to do with his potential allergies or do I need to push further with the vets?

Thanks in advance

2. slw

slw PetForums Senior

Hi
    Does he eat okay, with no problems like throat clearing?
    I can’t quite see properly m, but does he open-mouth breath a bit whilst purring?

3. Linah4

Linah4 PetForums Newbie

Does he stop purring after this? My late girl had a loud purr near her end it was open-mouthed and sounded like a little velociraptor. She would immediately stop purring after her mouth opened and she had to swallow, it was almost as if it was causing her pain :(.

Unfortunately her prognosis, after xrays, was cancer in her chest and an enlarged heart, with fluids and lesions in her lungs. I had to push for further testing as the vet thought her chest sounded fine, even after seeing videos of her purring. I don't mean to alarm you but wanted to share so you and your vet can do some further digging. I'm sure this was an extreme case, it could be nothing or it could also be something like asthma, but I would say worth pushing for an answer. Good luck <3

4. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

Can you send this video to your vet? The purr sounds a bit laboured, but that might be still within the ‘unusual but normal’ range- hard to tell from a video. The cough at the end of it is not normal in my eyes. Reasons can be so many that I would definitely ask a vet about it.

Mojo had a laryngitis shortly after he first came to me, he coughed louder than that but with the same sort of choking part.

5. Naomi Smith

Thanks everyone for the replies - he eats fine although some days more or less than others. He sometimes purrs with his mouth open, sometimes closed. He does usually carry on purring after and seems more relaxed after the “cough”

I’ve showed my vet and she says it’s nothing to be concerned about and that all sounds clear but it doesn’t seem normal to me...

6. slw

slw PetForums Senior

It could be a few things.... sometimes cats produce more saliva when purring so swallow more ( my current cat does this and vet said it’s normal and that his does it too), I guess the extra saliva could cause your cat to clear his throat.
    My cat had a similar loud purr to yours and did the same open-mouth breathing at times and cleared her throat at times. She had recently had a large growth removed from her larynx and had complications a few weeks later which led to not being able to eat, more effort required when breathing and clearing her throat. The vet strongly suspected the growth had regrown, as it hadn’t all been able to be removed and, as part of her larynx had been removed, it probably wouldn’t have been working normally which can affect breathing and eating. The vet didn’t recommend further procedures so we very sadly put her to sleep. She was 15 and otherwise in fabulous health.
    I would show the video to a vet. There may be something that’s not quite right and could be easier to fix now than later on. Or it may be nothing , but probably better to find out. Hopefully a simple X-ray/scan should reveal any problems, without the need for more intrusive tests.
    Let us know how you get on.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Naomi Smith - I think it is the little cough he gives, that you are referring to? I have found it's not unusual for cats to do this if they are purring loudly. It could, as someone else has said, perhaps be due to producing more saliva when they purr a lot and then gulp as they swallow it.

In your video he is gulping quite often before he gives the little cough. The gulping while purring is certainly nothing unusual in cats IME. Several of my cats past and present have done so. If your cat was sneezing or had a runny nose/runny eyes I'd have suggested the gulping and the little cough could be a possible respiratory infection. But it seems unlikely if he appears to be in good health, and has a good appetite.

#7 chillminx, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  8. Naomi Smith

Thank you @chillminx thats reassuring.

I’ve sent the video to another vet today and they’ve said similar, if everything else is normal then it could just be that he’s a very sensitive cat or his allergies are going mad!

slw likes this.
  9. Linah4

Linah4 PetForums Newbie

if you can afford it, I would strongly suggest some tests to be done - x-ray or ultrasound of her chest. This was the only way we were able to know what was going on with my late girl, even after the vet reassured her lungs and heart sounded OK.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice