Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat being sick (alot!) any help ?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Steve1221, May 16, 2010.

1. Steve1221

Steve1221 PetForums Newbie

Morning all,

Anyone give me some advice?

Our cats somewhere between 10 and 13 (RSPCA rescue). We've had him 4 years.

Last weekend (at 7:30 on sat morning) he was sick, hadn't been out, just given him some food. He was sick another 3 times in the day, last time was just a clear fluid.
    We give him just a little food for the next few days and he seemed fine.

Friday, he's sick again at 9:30 in the morning and again about 11. At which point I make an appointment for him at the vets for Monday morning.

The problem now is, he was sick 7 or 8 times last night, just bringing back clear fluid the last few times.
    He's spent the morning laying on his bed disinterested in every time. Ican't get hold of the vet as their answer machines which give the out of hours service is playing up.
    Don't know what to do ?

We haven't changed his food, he dosn't go out that much and when he does he sticks to our garden as a rule.
    We can't work out what he can have eaten if that's the problem ??

Anyone have any thoughts on what we can try/do ?

He's due at the vets tomorrow at 10:30, but how long will his heath hold out if he's not eating anything ?

Thanks...

2. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I was going to suggest prehaps he was trying to bring up a furball but he has been sick quite alot. The vet should know more.Hope he is ok.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello Steve, welcome to the forum! I presume he is running a fever because he is just lying on his bed lethargically. How long has he not eaten anything? Since last night? Did he sick up his food and since then he has just been bringing up clear stuff?

I do think it is time for the vets - that is being sick an awful lot. If you cannot get to your vets until tomorrow morning, then I would go and get some fresh chicken breast and lightly heat that up for him this afternoon to see whether he will eat that and whether it will stay down.

Perhaps also add a little water to his chicken to make sure that he doesn't hydrate - have you got some bowls of water for him?

4. Steve1221

Last thing he eat was last night at 7, about 10 bits of Iams.

That all came back and then everything else was clear.

We've water sitting next to his bed but he's got on interest in it. I even tried dripping a finger in it and offering him that...

I'm off to get some chicken now, thanks for that idea. I'll see what happens.

I can't see it being furballs, he has furball paste 3 times a week (but not this last week, didn't think it was a good idea!).

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Cats do apparently vomit a lot more than other animals; for a variety of reasons and sometimes with no specific cause. Don't think it is a hairball though. Could be some type of irritation or infection - some bugs are airborne, so even an indoor cat can get bad tummys; could be a parasite. In which case it should respond well to the meds your vet is likely to give you tomorrow. Does he get wormed regularly?

Doesn't sound as though he is sick because he is overeating. Just to flag this up, it could have more sinister causes, such as irritable bowel syndrome or kidney problems; or some kind of obstruction.

Does your cat eat dry exclusively? If he does, does he drink enough during the day you think?

Let us know how you get on with the chicken. Either just lightly warm it to bring out the smell (to make it more appetising) or cook it through (don't add anything though apart from a little of the cooking water).

As I said, let us know how you get on!

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hello! How is your cat today and how did it go at the vets?

7. Steve1221

Sorry, just back from work.

Thanks very much for the chicken idea, it worked a treat. He really rallied last night after a little (and one more in the middle of the night !).

Vet said she thought it was infection and gave him a shot of antibiotic and some tablets to put in his food. She want to see him in a week to see how he's going.
    He's back home and looking like there wasn't ever anything wrong with him !

God, it's worse than having more kid !

Thanks again for all your replies they really helped.

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Trips to the vets frequently have that effect - they are either as right as rain while you are there or as soon as you get home!

Fingers crossed that he will improve from here on. :thumbup:

If you still have some chicken then I don't think it will do him any harm to have a bit more of that over the next couple of days.

9. Steve1221

The vet did say keep him on the chicken for the next week.

He'll be eating better than us at this rate !

10. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hehe - true! You could consider keeping him on a raw diet from here on! Not quite as straightforward as just feeding chicken but may be worth an investigation!

Is he still getting better?

11. Steve1221

He's back to normal now.
    Eating more to 'catch up' I think. He can't get his head round 'a lot of small meals', he eats and the an hour later wants more !

Its amazing how much worry they can create and be blissfully unaware ! But that's the charm isn't it :)

12. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

We have a saying in Germany - you have children to teach you patience, and cats to test it!

Or they are fusspots, we are worrywarts - a winning combination!

13. Steve1221

I do like that :)

The thing that get me... My daughter wanted a cat so took my wife the RSPCA to 'have a quick look' (you know where this is going already don't you ?).

A week later we have a cat.

A month later she move in with her boy friend to a flat with a 'no pets' rule !

4 years later we wouldn't be without him and I'm still not sure how that happened !

14. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Ah, yup, rescue centres are dangerous things and so obviously are unloyal daughters! :lol: But hey, now you wouldn't want to be without your cat. You wouldn't have anything to worry about.... And no one to chase your da bird or laser pointer or piece of string with newspaper. No reason to tear your hair out because it doesn't want to eat the food you put in front of it. No reason to wear jeans because it scratches your leg with its claws.
    :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice