Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat being sick advice

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Julia1900, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Julia1900

Julia1900 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why one of my cats has been sick three times today. I am hoping it is the heat in the house to be the cause as opposed to something awful. He and his twin brother are 4 years old and never leave the house. They both eat side by side (half a Gourmet sachet each in the morning and the same at night - they have dry biscuits too as an option). I am just concerned as Godfrey looks poorly after being sick. Both cats have acquired fleas despite being treated with the Frontline stuff two weeks ago - ergo, I bought a new comb so that I could help them a bit in that respect. Basically, I am assuming that food for Godfrey really should be chicken perhaps? This would be whatever the local shop sells, I hasten to add, but in the past neither has been keen to eat normal chicken. Shall I just let him rest and assume that when he is ready to eat he will decide to do so?

2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Awww poor boy. Frontline apparently is not very effective in UK anymore and seems to fail a lot of cats. I’m wondering if your boy has worms now. Have you wormed them both as they will certainly need it. Milbemax is one of the popular pills and both of them will need it.
    You are best to get Advantage or Advocate for the fleas. You will also need to get indorex for spraying in the house.
    Plain chicken is fine just make sure you add the stock to the meals he can become dehydrated very quickly. So needs as much water as you can get him to drink.

#2 Soozi, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  3. Julia1900

Julia1900 PetForums Newbie

I used Johnsons spot-one flea thing before and that was not great which was why I got the Frontline expensive version. I still have trouble getting it onto their actual skin as their fur is so thick it is impossible to find any skin at all! The house spraying seems somewhat pointless as there are so many dusty nooks and crannies, mould, clothing (mouldy and dusty) etc etc - not to mention the inability to open any windows and not owning a vacuum cleaner (the last one I had that I borrowed from work died from depression after 20 minutes).

I did a spot-on wormer last week to them both (Bernard is not too bad with tablets but Godfrey is impossible - one would need a Hazmat suit, safety goggles and a taser gun to accomplish doing that kind of thing with him.

I would think that in this day and age that there could be a simple injection thing for fleas and worms for cats and dogs. I do not mean a huge (8mm) needle, I just mean like the new 3mm needles that I have to use on a daily basis for diabetes. I appreciate that not everyone would be comfortable with needles etc but for those of us who are adept with them it would be so much easier. By the way, if anyone decides to try and patent that idea I want at least 20% of the profits :)

4. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

If you can’t clean and spray the house then I don’t think you will ever solve the flea problem your cars will continually have fleas and could end up quite sick. You are fighting a losing battle.

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Julia1900 - there is an injection called Program which will stop fleas breeding on your cats (the chemicals disrupt the fleas' life cycle) but it does not kill fleas on the cat. It has to be administered by a vet, is not available on prescription as far as I know. To kill the fleas on your cat you would need an oral tablet such as Capstar.

The same drug - Program - also comes as a liquid suspension which can be added to the cat's food. I used it every month last winter for one of my cats who had developed a problem (sore skin) with the spot-on treatments.

He didn't get any fleas, but even so I felt the cover provided was inadequate for the warmer weather when he is outdoors a lot and more likely to catch fleas. So I switched him to a different spot-on, a make I haven't used before, called Bravecto, which contains a different insecticide and protects the cat for 3 months. So far, so good.

But any fleas you see on your cats are only the "tip of the iceberg". Most of the fleas, eggs and larvae are in your house. I agree with Soozi whatever products you use on the cats, won't help in the long term, unless you treat the house as well.

And as your cats have fleas it is likely they also have tapeworm as one type of tapeworm uses the flea as an intermediate host.

Could you perhaps pay a professional to fumigate your entire house for you? You'd need to move the cats out of the house for 24 hours while it was being done as the chemicals used are toxic to cats. And you may prefer to stay somewhere else yourself for the same 24 hour period, for the sake of your health.

Soozi likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice