Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat being bullied

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sammie39, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Sammie39

Sammie39 PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    First post here, sorry if this is asked a lot.
    My cat is a very small adult female - she's 8 years old now but not much bigger than an older kitten, only about 7kgs, the vet always says how tiny she is! She is very timid and petrified of everything - children, strangers, other animals, noises etc. even though we have had her since a kitten and have never done anything to cause this fear. But I guess some cats are just like this!
    When we moved to our current house, she had free reign of our garden and gradually came out of her shell and was brave enough to go and play and laze outside. However a couple of years ago we got a new next door neighbour - who has a great big brute of a ginger tom! He pretty much claimed our garden as well as his - he will go for our cat whenever he sees her, and most days he sits and waits to ambush her when she goes out of the cat flap. It's so bad she basically doesn't go out ever unless we are home, and even then it's for a very short amount of time. We have tried chasing him away every time we see him in the garden, and my other half even tried a water pistol, but I felt horrible for that and don't want to do it again. Just recently he has taken to not only chasing her all the way to our magnetic cat flap, but is now following her through so closely the flap doesn't have time to close before he gets his head in and then he's trapped inside our house! She is absolutely terrified and goes flying upstairs with him trying to attack her, then we go into the kitchen and he freaks out because it's a magnetic cat flap so he's locked in and goes crashing into windows and doors.
    What can we do to stop him bullying her and stop him getting into the house? It's a magnetic cat flap so only she can get in... He doesn't have a cat flap at his house so he doesn't have a matching magnet. They are both neutered so it really does seem to be he wants to fight her all the time as he sees it as his territory. I've got the cat flap locked at the moment, but it seems so unfair - I don't want to keep her in at all times, she loves lying and hunting in the grass when she's feeling brave, but I'm also worried that he will chase her in when we are out one day and then he'll be in the house fighting or doing god knows what whilst we're not there!
    Any ideas greatly appreciated :( Unfortunately I'm very shy and don't find my neighbour particularly approachable... but that could just be my shyness!
    Thanks,
    S

2. Lirael

Lirael PetForums Junior

Have you considered building a cat run attached to your back door?

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much you can do to prevent the neighbour's cat claiming the territory, but you could give your girl safe access to a limited area.

Have you tried keeping her indoors with plenty of toys and cat trees? Mine have always been indoor cats, but I grew up with outdoor cats. Some would have coped with the indoor life had there been no other choice. It sounds as though she may find it less stressful.

#2 Lirael, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  3. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Senior

There’s probably Not much your neighbours could do in any case. My friend has a bully cat who has taken over the neighbourhood - he is a bit embarrassed, but also a little proud!!

The cat run idea is good one, your little kitty might be more suited to be a mainly house cat - were she feels safe. I know it isn’t fair, but try and make inside as fund as possible and let her enjoy supervised trips out to the garden.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

What sort of cats is your vet used to seeing :eek: 7kg is a very decent weight for a male cat and larger than average size for a female

Either cat proof the yard to keep her in and him out or build/buy a free standing enclosure, safer for cats than free roaming.

Sacremist likes this.
  5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Have a look at the section here on Cat Pens and Catproofing your garden, that might give you some ideas on what you can do to make life better for your cat.:)

ewelsh likes this.
  6. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Sacremist likes this.
  7. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Senior

This may be a stupid question but does cat proofing keep other cats out or just stop them leaving when in.

I am considering cat proofing my garden but am worried the neighbourhood cats will get trapped in my garden

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

@
    @Scouttie Not a stupid question at all :).
    I don't have cat proofing as my garden is too awkward to do but have built a run with connecting tunnel to the house which gives Meeko freedom to come and go in safety.
    I'm fairly sure if you use the angle brackets and netting system it should keep your cat in and others out as neighbouring cats would have to walk up inwards sloping netting which wouldn't feel secure under their paws.
    This is the system I mean which can ,if you or someone you know has DIY skills be done quite cheaply.........
    https://protectapet.com/how-it-works-cats/

Scouttie and moggie14 like this.
  9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Sammie39: I wouldn't feel bad about using a water pistol until you sort out a permanent solution. It won't harm him.

Scouttie likes this.
  10. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Oh dear! I have the same problem welcome to my world! I’ve had my girl attacked a few times in her own garden as she doesn’t go beyond the boundary walls. We had no choice but to cat proof. The outside pen is the other alternative as I don’t think your neighbour will be willing to do anything as frustrating as it is it’s up to you to protect your cat I’m afraid. :(

moggie14 likes this.
  11. Sammie39

Sammie39 PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for your messages and kind replies! I will look into the cat proofing idea, I just get worried that my cat will end up trapped outside? Especially as I have a sort of car port come garage with gaps under as well as over :( But I will look into it! For now she seems okay inside, occasionally paws at the door to go out though which makes me sad :(
    @moggie14 yes defo pounds, whoops... That would be a big cat!

Thanks every one!

moggie14 and Sacremist like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice