Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat behavior- Need advice!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Farjana Jannat, May 18, 2019 at 6:15 AM.

1. Farjana Jannat

Farjana Jannat PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

I got my kitten when she was 6 months from a shelter (they do not know her background history) and when I got her in, she was so friendly and sat on my lap on day 1! She would sit next to me, knead on me, sleep next to my face and sleep on my lap.

However, things have changed and now she's 1 year old...For some reason, she became really jumpy and with the slightest movement she'll run away. She won't sleep on my lap anymore, knead on me or sit next to me- not even cuddling up on me apart from sleeping next to my feet.

I gave her so much love and attention, so I don't know what caused her behaviour to change.

Here are my theories:

1) I did have to leave abroad for 3 months, so my brother took her in but she did not adjust well with his 3 male cats (younger than her). It was like a cat war in the house and very stressful for the cats and the humans! I think the stress caused a behaviour change?

2) After few days living with my brother, he had to resort her to someone else's house with no cats- she adjusted well there, but the sudden change if 2 houses could've caused another stress factor.

3) Because I was stressed with the situation, it was my fault that I didn't give much attention to her when she needed me and then I had to leave for the airport while I left her with 3 cats she hates. I guess this caused trust issues?

Please can anyone give me advice. I love her so much, but I really miss her previous behaviour. She was so calm and not jumpy.

P.S. I'm giving her a lot of attention now and she will let me pet her, allow me to sit next to her and she does purr plus her tail is upright.

2. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

I think you're right, that she's become jumpy from all the stress. I had similar issues with my own cats when I had to place them with my friend for 6 months, she also had cats and although they settled in well, there was longterm damage done. I had no choice at the time but I wouldn't do it again if I could help it.

Anyway, my longwinded point is that it can take quite some time for a cat to readjust away from the stress. It took my cats a couple of years, but we had other stresses too.

Try and keep things as calm and as quiet as possible. I found calling out what I was doing before I started a loud noise was helpful, as they weren't taken unawares and spooked.

Plenty of fuss and cuddles, as you are doing. Just give it some time and try not to worry

3. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat PetForums Senior

I wonder if creating a safe area for her would help - somewhere she can hide away if needed. A bit like you would when you first bring a cat home?

chillminx likes this.
  4. Farjana Jannat

Thank you very much for your advice. I feel guilty for putting her in this stress, but I had no choice like you. This time if so do have to get away again, i'll make better arrangements for my girl to be comfortable and happy (ideally wouldn't want to go).

She was hiding in my room under the bed for couple of days and would only come out to eat and use the litter. But now, she rests in the living room with me and my parents, so there's some improvement. I am patient and hopefully, she'll become her old self again

5. Farjana Jannat

There's a small gap behind the sofa, so when she feels scared she hides there. My bed also has a gap underneath where she hides, but doesn't hide as much as she used to under my bed- I think she is getting more comfortable around me and my parents

6. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Bless her! From reading your posts I honestly think you will get your girl back it’s just a question of reassuring her with love and attention without being in her face. Keep us updated on progress. x

7. Farjana Jannat

Thank you so much! I won't give up anf continue to show her affection.

Update: While I sat next to her while she was grooming, she came to my hand and started licking it for 1 minute or so. She's never done that! I think that's a way of showing affection to me.

8. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Fantastic, well done! She's definitely coming round, keep at it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice