Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat ate mouse?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by dee o gee, Jan 22, 2012.

1. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Well on advice here I bought herself a frozen mouse today. After it was fully defrosted I gave it to her and left her in the utility room (she has a funny thing about people watching her eat), came back and it was gone. No trace of it at all just disappeared. I'v searched every inch of the room (it's a small room so not hard) so I can only presume she ate it. :confused:
    She's never (as far as I'm aware, she's been indoors only since about 9-10 months old, she's now 6 and a half) caught or eaten a mouse before so I honestly wasn't expecting her to eat it (but hoping she would). But I thought cats usually leave behind certain bits (intestines?), or at the least I was expecting a bit of a mess. :confused: It was only a baby one, or so I was told by the woman who probably thought I was mad, about 2 inches long (not inc. tail).

So those of you that feed frozen mice what do you think, eaten or very well hidden? :confused:

2. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Eaten.
    Some cats leave bits, but many will wolf them down whole, and especially a tender baby mouse is a delicacy.
    I once bought my cats frozen baby chicks. Some just played with them or nibbled on them, but one cat got really nasty about his prey and wolfed down his own, then claimed the others', too. Stopped offering them as it led to food fights and one cat gorging himself.

3. cookiemom

cookiemom PetForums Senior

My one mouse eater will sometimes leave the tail, not often though.

4. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

She must have eaten it so, was just hoping she didn't jump up on top of the boiler with it and drop it in, that was the only place left that she could have hidden it. I only have one cat so no danger of multiple fighting cats. I was told (hobbs I think) that they would help clean her teeth, might go for the bigger adult mice next time, the bones might be a bit bigger and crunchier. How big are the day old chicks and what do they look like? Not sure I'd be able to feed them to her if their all cute and fluffy, although I thought that about the mice too, guess if it's in her best interests I could do it. Bloody cat, if anyone hears that I'm paying for mice to feed a cat they'll think I'm loolaa! :rolleyes:

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Some eat the lot. some leave tails, feet or bits of intestine. I'm sure she enjoyed every little bit of her treat :D

6. bordie

bordie PetForums VIP

poor little mouse killed and frozen:eek:

7. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

I guess you'll know for sure in a week's time! :rolleyes:

8. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

My old cat Panda would leave either the head of the mouse or the body (and usually on the kitchen floor!!) :eek:

9. delca1

delca1 PetForums VIP

It does seem weird buying a mouse I am so used to having cats that go out!
    One of mine brings them in dead and leaves them for the other to play with. If eaten the only evidence is normally a tail or a kidney...nice :eek:
    I reckon you don't have to worry about worms with specially bred, frozen ones.

10. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Stop, he looked like my old pair of dwarf hamsters but with a tail. :( But it's for the benefit of my cat so justified. Would prefer to feed trapped mice from people's houses (free range mouse :p) but at least I don't have to tell people I'm buying mice whereas if I start asking people for their dead caught mice I will have to tell them what for or else they'l think I'm definitely loolaa (or it'l confirm it :p)! :eek:

11. Alfride

Alfride PetForums Senior

Most likely she ate it. One day Rosie brought in a little dead mouse and started playing with it. I ordered her and her play thing out. Though the window I was pretty shocked to see her wolf down the poor little thing with the greatest ease (nothing left).

Rosie was an indoor cat for the first 15 months of her life. I think it is just pure instinct for some cats - they just know how to kill and what to do with it.

12. amszephyr

amszephyr PetForums Junior

I agree - when my sweet little boy kitten hit 2 years old, he turned into a highly efficient mousing machine: when he's got one he has the most bloodcurdling growl and when I chased him outside with his latest catch a couple of days' ago it was gone within a minute - just a liver left on the back door step as proof that there'd ever been a mouse. What surprised me was that he then came inside and tucked into the remains of his breakfast as though he'd not been fed for weeks!

13. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I reckon eaten - especially given the extreme(ish) reaction I got from my two when I first gave them mice.

I started off with the more usual raw - chicken wings, king prawns, etc. with limited success. When I first gave them the wings I rubbed crushed up thrive treats into them first to get the cats interested. By about the third or fourth attempt at feeding them the cats would have a go - mainly crunching the tip end - but still not much enthusiasm. Neither of them would touch the raw prawns...

Then I tried mice. I bought pinkies the first time, and fully expected to have to wiggle them around, maybe open them up....

No chance! As soon as the cats saw them it was a real light bulb moment - they went bonkers trying to climb my legs for them. Jones took 2 bites, Bob swallowed his whole, and they were both begging for more.

Moved straight on to adult mice next time and another blinding success. Under a minute of chomping and no more mice.

Mice and chicks they leave nothing - no blood, no bits, not so much as a whisker is left uneaten. You wouldn't know they'd had them.

14. peecee

peecee PetForums Senior

Just had to laugh at that

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice