Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat at vets yesterday for spay now i've spotted a flea!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Rylee, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Rylee

Rylee PetForums Member

She was spayed yesterday and i've just seen a flea hop on to her bald patch. I killed the flea and i've brushed her all over with a flea comb and i've not found anymore or any flea eggs. Is it possible for there to just be the one or will i need to get her some flea treatment now?

She is going back to the vets tomorrow for a check up (i was shocked they wanted to see her again so soon) so i will ask their opinion too but just wondered what anyone on here thought?

If she does need to be treated for fleas i was going to get effipro spot ons as i know my mum uses these on her 2. Is this a good one to get? I'm hoping the vets wont charge too much for it!

2. Kivo87

Kivo87 PetForums Newbie

Hi Rylee,

Whilst it is possible that it was just one flea, I would still apply the spot on just in case (depending on when you last applied it) if its within a month then your current treatment should still be in effect.

I stopped applying over the winter, and then OH started getting bites so checked the cats and fleas.... made sure to put their spot on on then. Fingers crossed the treatment worked as nothing since. I also sprayed and washed soft furnishings etc just to be sure. There are herbal rememdies as well though if you prefer, can just check these out online. (I've even heard that fleas don't like garlic... proper vampire mites!!)

In terms of the Spot On - I use Advocate and never had any problems (until I stopped putting it on in anticipation of not catching through the winter... how wrong was I but at least lesson learned) However, if you have used and trusted effipro then go ahead with that.

Hope that helps!

Kivo x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice