Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Anxiety

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Amytoddd, May 15, 2020.

1. Amytoddd

Amytoddd PetForums Newbie

Hiya!

I’ve had my cat Sebastian since he was a kitten. He was a normal kitten but began to develop cloudy eyes when he was about 6 months. Hes had every check at the vets who can’t diagnose anything particular but reckon he has limited peripheral vision and cannot understand depth. He is a happy cat but is VERY sensitive to noise and hates any new people especially children.
    He freaks out when I drop anything, open the dishwasher or sneeze and if the doorbell ring he will hide under the bed for an hour.

He’s 5 now, and I’ve adjusted to his unique ways but I was wondering if there was anything I could do to ease his anxiety on a day to day basis so that he doesn’t get as stressed as he seems to be? Does anybody recommend any plug ins or supplements so that he’s not on edge all the time?

Would appreciate any advice

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I have a cat who is quite nervous a lot of the time. She does well on Zylkene which is a milk supplement. It comes in a capsule which you open and add to their food. You could also spray his bedding with Pet Remedy or Feliway which might help. I don't like the plug-ins as I'm not convinced they are safe.

chillminx and Amytoddd like this.
  3. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi. Poor Sebastian. I’ve taken on some cats like him. Is he allowed outdoor access? If so, I recommend more than one cat flap. My Max doesn’t like men or noise and some other people, and he has a cat flap in the front door as well as the back door. Then if there’s something bothering at one end of the property (for example a letter through the letterbox, or noisy dustmen outside or workmen in the back garden.... or my singing), he can run to the opposite end of his home and access the cat flap furthest from the noise. I also recommend places for Sebastian to be able to hide in, like high up shelves and beds. Max particularly likes to curl up in a blanket that’s on the back of the sofa (put there to deter him from scratching the leather). It’s extra long and folds under at the floor, so he uses it as a bed as it’s dark inside there. When Max is scared because he is ill, he likes access to my pillow. What’s Sebastian like when he feels Ill? Can he share your bedroom for example, this would help. Leaving all doors open/ajar at all times is a must. I also try to get him to change his views on some scarey noises, for example he was and can be terrified of tin foil, so I keep his favourite cooked meats in it and open it slowly and carefully at as close a distance to him as I feel he will allow me to, without freaking out. He’s getting use to my singing now at long last too, haha! I don’t know if Zylkene could help and may be worth investigating? I also ask noisy visitors to take his needs into account!

chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. James - Coffee2019

James - Coffee2019 PetForums Newbie

Hi, my name is James and last year I rescued a cat from a local shelter. She is about 8 years old but is very nervous. I have had cats all my life and never had any being anxious. We live alone just me and the cat, I have feliway plugins, see get hills food and felix wet food at night but is still very wary. She eats all her food, uses her litter box no problem I just wish she was less anxious. Is there anything I can try? Thank you all so much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice