Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat annual booster. Missed it!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by WaveRider, Apr 5, 2011.

1. WaveRider

WaveRider PetForums Senior

Just come across the cat vaccination card and it appears i missed its annual booster in January. Will it need a full course now or is it within a timeframe for just the booster?

2. BSH

BSH PetForums Senior

A booster alone will be fine.

One of my cats was 20 months old when I adopted her and her vaccines were 6 months overdue and she just required a booster :)

3. angel a

angel a PetForums Junior

Im sure a booster will be fine, but just for information I read somewhere that its National Vaccination Month in May, more information about getting reduced costs on full courses of vaccinations can be found on this website: National Vaccination Month | Intervet,

4. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

It will be fine to get it a bit late. The protection doesn't just suddenly stop at the date in your vaccination book but rather gradually decreases. The only time you might have trouble is maybe if you use a cattery or maybe showing where they might have rules about being in date, otherwise you'll be fine. :)

5. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I agree, though of course it will depend on what your vet says! I heard of someone who had overrun slightly like you and was told she had to start again on contacting the practice.

6. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It does depend on the vet but it also depends on how many vaccinations the cat has had. If the cat has had an initial course plus at least one booster on time then no vet should insist on a full course again no matter how late you are. If you're late with the first booster then the vet does have an argument for starting over.

7. Lola71

Lola71 PetForums Senior

My vet recently informed me that if the booster is over 6 months late then you need to restart the course but your well within that time scale so a booster should still be fine by the sounds of it.

8. Tobacat

Tobacat PetForums Senior

I was a month late getting mine done last year and my vet said not to worry -if they had been done regularly they could go a few months, so from that should be okay.

9. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

And then, of course, are those who say that you can have up to 3 years or so between vaccinations (when the foundations have been laid by the kitten and first annual booster ones)....

10. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Our vet said 3 months from when Louie's 1st booster was due but got it done just incase of his insurance :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice