Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat and the staircase issue

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Popzdragons, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Popzdragons

Popzdragons PetForums Junior

Hi guys I'm wondering if anyone's else experienced this behaviour? I have an almost 2 year old radoll and we recently (6 weeks ago) got a sphynx kitten, Artemis. They're getting on amazingly and our new girl seems to think Apollo hung the stars, but I mention it as it might have something to do with Apollos new quirk?

He's only done it 3 times in the last month or so, but he'll go halfway up the stairs, sit and look up, meow once normally and then once very low pitched and try and jump up onto the banister. If he doesn't make it he'll move up a stair, and repeat the process upto 3 times.

Its happened once while I've been upstairs, and twice while I've been working on the couch in the living room, which is the same room the stairs are in. He's only made the jump once so far and clung half on half off until I got him down.

I don't think he would hurt himself if he were to fall off as it's about a 6ft drop at the highest and I've seen him successfully jump from higher places, I think the only issue would be if he landed funny?

To be honest I'm not sure if he's end goal is to reach the ceiling or get on top of the banister, but both seem like odd things to want, and I was wondering if anyone elses cats to this?

He has plenty of places up high he can go which Artemis cat get to him, and she's never around when he's done it that I've witnessed so I'm not sure it is related to her? Jes fully vaccinated and vet checked, no illness or injury, still eating and playing etc

IMG_20210213_191434091.jpg

white_shadow likes this.
  2. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Hmm, that's an interesting one! My first thought while still reading was that he was looking for a new "get away' spot, but you say he has those.

Cats do like to change up their behavior, it's part of their survival instinct as prey animals. Changing their behaviors, not being predictable, is to confuse their predators and protect themselves. Why the banister though, I don't know. Because it's there...from a cat's point of view.

The meowing may be his way of announcing what he's doing, or encouraging himself, or just singing because he's happy he's found a new past time.

3. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I have no idea what is going on. Libby went through a stage of coming down the stairs in an odd way with a big keep, so I blocked her from doing this. So if it were my cat, I would prevent Apollo from doing this if you felt there was a chance he could hurt himself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice