UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm very aware that my cat may have ingested some paracetamol this morning - I'm home ill, and took two out of the packet to take. I left them on the table when I went to get a drink and came back to find my cat on said table, playing with one of the tablets. I was quick to take them away, but one end of the capsule was soggy and felt as though it had been attempted to chew through - I could not tell if he had actually gotten into the powder but I'm scared he might have and I just don't know yet?

What would you recommend I do now? He's not showing any signs of poisoning, and this was roughly four hours ago - he's breathing normally, eating and drinking as usual and has been alert and playful all morning. I hope if he ingested any, it was only a small amount, but I'm not sure how much would be enough to do damage? He's a 13 year old, slightly overweight male, if that helps at all!

Thank you in advance :) xxxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39,165 Posts
i would phone the vet for advise, i have heard of cats dying from human pills, do let us know what they say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
It sounds as if you have been very lucky but it may be worth inducing vomiting as you are still within time frame for that. Toxic dose is quite low and it would depend on the strength of the tablets, ring the vet for advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds as if you have been very lucky but it may be worth inducing vomiting as you are still within time frame for that. Toxic dose is quite low and it would depend on the strength of the tablets, ring the vet for advice.
The tablets were 500mg, which is why I'm worried about how much he could have gotten from them, but they were just normal and not the extra strength ones. I'm going to ring the vet and see what they have to say, thanks for the advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39,165 Posts
dont want to frighten you, but it is better to be safe than sorry. a five minute phonecall will put your mind to rest.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39,811 Posts
Hi all,

I'm very aware that my cat may have ingested some paracetamol this morning - I'm home ill, and took two out of the packet to take. I left them on the table when I went to get a drink and came back to find my cat on said table, playing with one of the tablets. I was quick to take them away, but one end of the capsule was soggy and felt as though it had been attempted to chew through - I could not tell if he had actually gotten into the powder but I'm scared he might have and I just don't know yet?

What would you recommend I do now? He's not showing any signs of poisoning, and this was roughly four hours ago - he's breathing normally, eating and drinking as usual and has been alert and playful all morning. I hope if he ingested any, it was only a small amount, but I'm not sure how much would be enough to do damage? He's a 13 year old, slightly overweight male, if that helps at all!

Thank you in advance :) xxxx
Paracetomol is toxic to both dogs and cats, obviously cats being smaller are probably even more at risk. It can also do longer term organ damage later down the line too. I would phone your vet immediately for advice at the minimum. if there is a risk the longer its in the cat the more risks of illness and long term damage and complications. 500 tables are a large dose to a cat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
Even half a tablet of paracetamol can be toxic for a cat!! :eek:

They may not show symptoms immediately, as it can be delayed damage to the liver. I would definitely ring the vet and take the cat down there as soon as you can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even half a tablet of paracetamol can be toxic for a cat!! :eek:

They may not show symptoms immediately, as it can be delayed damage to the liver. I would definitely ring the vet and take the cat down there as soon as you can.
He definitely didn't eat half a capsule - I tipped most of the powder into my hand once I took the tablet away. I'm just worried he might have gotten a little bit. The vet is super busy at the moment and I can't go down there without my mum who deals with the insurance and money etc so I've just got to keep an eye on him for changes. Thank you all for your help, though!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
I don't like those capsule type pills - too easy to break open!

The solid tablets are better, then you can see whether they've had any of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,287 Posts
It sounds like your cat may have not got much at all, but the following tells you what to watch out for. It is highly toxic, and not all effects are immediate.

"Paracetamol is one of the most widely used drugs in the world. At manufacturer recommended doses it has an excellent safety record in humans. However, this is not the case in cats. Cats are simply unable to remove the drug from their bodies fast enough to prevent toxicity developing.

NEVER ADMINISTER PARACETAMOL TO A CAT.
Symptoms of Paracetamol Poisoning.

In the first few hours, an affected cat's breathing may become faster and more laboured. Her tongue may go blue and her heart beat faster. These are all effects of a reduced oxygen carrying capacity of the blood. The cat is likely to be depressed, may vomit, or develop swellings of the head and paws. If the cat survives these early symptoms, over the next few days, she is likely to produce blood-stained urine, develop abdominal pain, and may become jaundiced (where the whites of the eyes become yellow). Seizures are possible, as is a lapse into a coma. Death can occur up to 6 days after the consumption of paracetamol.
Treatment of Paracetamol Poisoning

Paracetamol poisoning is an emergency. Affected cats must be brought to the surgery without delay.

In the early stages (less than 2 hours after administering the drug), we induce vomiting. This could be followed by the administration of an intestinal adsorbent such as activated charcoal. If the cat is having breathing difficulties, or has become anaemic, oxygen will be required"

Taken from Vetrica website
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't like those capsule type pills - too easy to break open!

The solid tablets are better, then you can see whether they've had any of it.
I agree, but the capsules are a lot easier for me to take :p There was some powder lying around the capsule, where he left it, and 2/3 if not the rest of it I'm pretty sure ended up in my hand, but better safe than sorry!

Summersky - I read that earlier - That was what alerted me to the dangers of it and why I became paranoid about how much he may have ingested. However, he is not showing any of the immediate effects - his tongue is still a healthy pink and his breathing/heart rate, from what I can tell is even and steady. I'm hoping that is a good sign and he won't develop any other symptoms (it has been 5 hours since the incident) but I will probably pop him down the vets when possible anyway, to have his blood tested and rule out any possible poisoning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,781 Posts
I would be surprised if a cat were to lick paracetamol as I believe it is very bitter and nasty tasting isn't it? (if memory serves me well!) So it would not smell attractive to a cat. Though I suppose if he played with the capsule he could have got a bit of powder on his paw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,368 Posts
I would be surprised if a cat were to lick paracetamol as I believe it is very bitter and nasty tasting isn't it? (if memory serves me well!) So it would not smell attractive to a cat. Though I suppose if he played with the capsule he could have got a bit of powder on his paw.
If they play with capsules, they might bite them, causing powder to spill, which it sounds like has happened here. They would get a little in their mouths if they do this! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If they play with capsules, they might bite them, causing powder to spill, which it sounds like has happened here. They would get a little in their mouths if they do this! :eek:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is what has happened! I don't think he meant to pierce the capsules, just played with them a bit too violently haha.

I haven't managed to get him down the vets yet, but he still isn't showing any side effects - he hasn't vomited and he's as alert and active as ever! So I'm hoping he didn't ingest enough to cause him any harm. I'm still going to take him to the vet tomorrow though, if I can get an appointment. Thank you all so much!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top