Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat and Kitten not getting along

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Domy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

There just being cats! Tia now goes for Elvis stalks him and runs up and swipes him and runs off!! :D :D

And He still smacks her chops lol!! :p

Look at it in a positive way, they are Not fighting and hurting each other, they Are eating together, in the next 3 months you might not have any hissing at all!! You have to give it time!!

2. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

things are starting to improve a little. I let them in the same room for a while this evening. They sniffed each other- which had not happened before, and the kitten eventually chased the cat around. It looks like the kitten will be the alpha. There has still not been a good interaction, but it is somewhat improving.

3. MadeleineI

MadeleineI PetForums Newbie

Generally adult cats are very wary of kittens in case there is a fiercely protective mother about. It's just not worth befriending them in case they get beaten up. Once they realise there is no fierce mother about, they start to relax. It's just a question of time and letting them do it their way.

4. Domy

Domy PetForums Junior

Still not much of an improvement and i'm really starting to get a little annoyed :).

I just don't understnad...they eat together, and we began taking them outside at the same time together. Outside they get close and we never see any swatting at all. They generally don’t share the same space, but every once in a while I see them getting closer to each other during nap times. I caught the kitten sleeping under one chair while the cat under another of our table.

I’ve never expected them to be best friends, but I hoped for the same situation that I had when I lived at my Mom’s house. The cats at least chased each other around.

Inside though we still get lots of swats, growls and hissing out of our cat when the kitten comes near. It’s almost 4 months and like I said earlier, it is frustrating! Is it still ok that it is taking this long? At this point I would be satisfied with them ignoring each other. My cat isn’t as cuddly as before which tears me apart, and seems to spend so much energy growling at the kitten. As far as I know my cat is fine healthwise. We had her yearly checkup not too long ago and everything was fine. I guess I’m having a tough time comprehending that they are ok when eating together, outside together, but can’t get along much inside?

Anything else I can do?

5. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

I am really sorry to hear this. 4 months is long time although I am not an expert in this. I had this problem with my cat and kitten but it only lasted a couple of weeks and now they seem to really enjoy each other- with a few minor scuffles. I am told that not all cats do get along.

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Sounds fine to me just leave them be now they are tolrating eachother!
    not sure how old your kitten is but remember not to let him outside until his spayed!

actually 4 months is Not a long time it can take 6 months 12 months or never happen at all. all cats are different you cant give a time line for these things :)

7. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

there you go- it is not too long- don't give up hope.

8. Domy

Domy PetForums Junior

Just wanted to give a quick update. Things seem to be going much better lately so we're much happier.

In talking with various different people, they do believe that our cats do tolerate each other at the moment. There is still no playing with each other, but they will stay in the same room and will sit around each other outside.

The only thing left that puzzles me is that my older cat still will growl everytime the younger kitten gets to close. There is not much swatting, but still quite a bit of growling. This only seems to happen if the kitten is coming straight for her, or coming near her "bubble". When the kitten has her back turned, the older cat never growls. For instance, this morning the older cat walked out of the bedroom, noticed the kitten was grooming herself, smelled her tail, and walked away without doing anything.

So is this a territorial thing, or is it just because the kitten is still really wild? I'm hoping the growling will subside when the kitten gets older, but wanted to see what others thought?

9. kelseye

kelseye Banned

hello your cat could be a bit jelous? or it could be a terratory thing ? or your cat must just not like your kitten around all the time.its just one of them things .as we had a cat then got a kitten and the cat would not get on with it atall so we had to as a family memmber to have her for us it was a shame they were both females,.:)

10. Domy

Domy PetForums Junior

So you had to get rid of your kitten? I don't think that is really an option for us :(

11. kelseye

kelseye Banned

no she went to live with my dad and i see her all the time so no i dident get RID of her!and this was like 10 years ago anyway.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice