Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat and Kitten not getting along

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Domy, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

only day 2 lol! It could take 6 months!

Can I ask Why you are putting one in a crate and then one running about?! Cats dont like to be boxed in they need to be able to get away and hide, I wouldnt use a crate.

Its early days yet!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Not all cats will like each other.

I have 2 that i rescued as kittens together. Even now, 10 years later, they hate each other. Theres always growling, hissing, spitting, and the odd scrap.

Most of the time they keep out of each others way. I just make sure that they each have a place they can go to get away from each other, and have seperate areas for sleeping, eating and toileting.

Doesnt affect how they are with me though. I make sure all my cats get equal attention if they like it.

3. Domy

Domy PetForums Junior

Darn, that's tough to hear. I just hope mine end up tolerating each other.

Quick question, we live in a 2 bedroom apartment so space is a bit of an issue. Right now they both eat at the same time without problems and both use the same room for litter (2 boxes). since my cat still has a tough time with the kitten (kitten is fine with the cat), should I be seperating their dishes and litter boxes?

thank you!

4. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

I appreciate the input. I was not expecting good results in 3 days. It is just sad to hear my adult cat crying. The reason I use the crate is so that the big cat does not kill the little one.

5. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I actually think using the crate is a good idea in the early days so they can see each other but not be of a threat, alot of people advise this.

Obviously not to keep them in crates permently but a few times just so they can have a sniff and see each other, perserve with it as it will take a while longer but it should sort itself out although I know how upsetting it can be.

6. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

after reading these replies, I am going to put the kitten in a crate and just leave him in the main area and let the adult cat go about his business. I want to see if he is willing to coexist

7. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

ok- this is too weird. We decided to let the kitten out of the crate and he ended up chasing the adult cat around the house. the cat was scared of the kitty

8. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

and now the cat ran away from home- what a disaster this has turned out to be

9. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

He'll be back, hes probably off having some quiet time.

10. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

it isnt werid the little one was playing and he run off, my older boy does and mops outdoors staring at me until I feel sorry for him and give him some chicken :)

11. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

well, the big guy is back but very depressed. It is sad. I regret getting the kitty

12. Domy

Domy PetForums Junior

He'll be fine, give it lots of time. We had this debate as well as we felt terrible for our older cat.

13. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

th ecats will more than likely be fine, sometimes the original big cat can act like a stroppy huffy child for a while they will at the very lewast learn to tolerate one another and unless the cats are having issues feeding next to one another i would not seperate them

14. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Tell you what I nearly gave up and sent Elvis back to live with my dad as the stress of keeping 2 cats apart with one who would attack, who has had about a million ops for fighting other cats & a fox!

I regretted bringing him here and disrupting all of our lives I cried, I moaned I didnt sleep.

My lil kitten Taylor who wanted to play & wouldnt hurt a fly. I barely slept had to keep going from one cat to the other in diff rooms as I introduced them slowly, using scent & treats............

about 7/10days later they finally met (well bar the odd meeting if one ran into the room if I opened a door) with little meetings and lots of treats involved, ate across the room to each other.

after 3 weeks....3!! This is a cat who hated other cats remember....Taylor brought him round and they are the BEST of friends I actually cry looking at them sometimes as Im SO proud of them.

Elvis, although he tolerate has welcomed all the newbies into the home, distant at first he plays with them which does make me cry, a cat that I thought couldnt live with me who is 12years old changing his ways is extremely hard!

All Im saying is, its only been a few days!! It could take 6 months its stressful but if you get this ending SO worth it!

Anyway heres some pics of him with his friends!

This was about 2 weeks after bringing him here, Taylor refused to give up and followed him Everywhere with Elvis ignoring his every move.

IT reminded me of a film, a grumpy old man has to look after a young kid who teaches him to live again lol!! :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

well not quite a cat.....:D
    [​IMG]

15. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

i could only hope for this

16. Domy

Domy PetForums Junior

Sorry, getting a bit confused about who is answering me and who is answering bucky.

From my original post, it has been 3 months and we still see growling, and swatting from our cat. When the kitten is sleeping or in another room, our cat is fine. But when it comes running into the same room, our cat will growl. At lunch yesterday as I was saying good bye to our cat and the kitten came from the opposite side of the room. Our cat growled. I gave them both a little cheese beside each other and they had no trouble eating it beside each other. The same goes during normal eating times. They both eat beside each other for about 5 minutes at breakfast and supper time.

So am I to believe that they will more than likely tolerate each other since they eat beside each other?

Thanks!

17. buckyd

buckyd PetForums Junior

There has been some progress. I have not allowed them together since the last fiasco, but the adult cat is much calmer and more loving towards me than he was over the past few days. Perhaps there is some acceptance. I will consider re-introducing them to each other soon, but I want the adult cat to get his confidence back first.

18. Domy

Domy PetForums Junior

Bump, just wondering if anyone had any advice.

Thanks.

19. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

to be honest it could always be like this, it sounds as though they do tolerate each other & eating side by side Ive always seen as a good sign as my cats do.

Not sure what else to suggest really its been 3 months, it might take another before the hissing and smacking of the chops stop lol!! :p

20. Domy

Domy PetForums Junior

Thank you :).

I was just worried that we were fighting a losing battle. I wasn't sure if we should turn our thinking process into something of hope, or just get used to the fact that my cat will always hiss and clobber the kitten.

A werid thing happened this morning. After my cat had hit the kitten a couple of times, the kitten decided to get back at her. She got up, gave her a stare, and then jumped on her back! I felt so bad for my cat but happy for the kitten. I don't know what to make of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice