Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat and kitten. Advice!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by H.M, Nov 16, 2020.

1. H.M

H.M PetForums Junior

Hi, I decided to get a male ragdoll kitten 2 weeks ago and is now 10 weeks called Danbi for my 1 year old curious, playful little boy called Oreo after his friend, our neighbours cat, was rehomed.

After 2 days of figuring out if the new kitten was a friend or an enemy he realised he had nothing to worry about and they began to play with each other. Oreo sometimes is a little rough but if it gets too much I will break them up. The kitten has grown confidence very quickly to my surprise and Oreo has let the kitten to chase him around.

However, the problem is the kitten does not know when to stop. When Oreo has had enough and lies down, walks around or is sleeping the kitten comes and jumps on him and bites him. This disrupts Oreo's sleep and they would both start biting each other and sometimes kangaroo kick each other and neither of them would be able to sleep. I would have to let Oreo go outside or sleep upstairs where he usually wouldnt be allowed as I have an 8 year old female cat who hates other cats but is fine as long as he keeps away from her and just sleeps. If the kitten sleeps he is able to sleep fine downstairs. How do I stop or teach the kitten to leave him when he doesnt want to play anymore. Or do I just leave them to it to solve themselves.

Thanks for reading.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @H.M and welcome :)

Danbi is young, exuberant and full of energy and is used to hours of play every day with his litter mates. Danbi is treating Oreo like a playmate, and that is normal.

Danbi is too young to understand the niceties of cat etiquette or to read Oreo's body language signalling when he is not in the mood for play. So you have to find ways to protect Oreo from being pestered by Danbi when he (Oreo) wants to be left alone.

I wouldn't leave them to solve it themselves, as that wouldn't be fair on Oreo, who sounds as though he is already being very patient with Danbi.

So you need to create a place or some places for Oreo to go when he wants to get away from Danbi for some rest and quiet. Can Oreo have access to a room upstairs where your older cat does not go? Will Oreo respect your older cat's boundaries and leave her alone if he is allowed upstairs?

I also recommend increasing the vigorous playtime you have with Danbi so he uses up his energy and has less to spare for bothering Oreo. I usually play with kittens for 3 to 4 hours a day in periods of say 40 minutes. Get your kitty running about and leaping to tire him out. :)

3. H.M

H.M PetForums Junior

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I have made space for Oreo a few days ago on top of a cupboard with a blanket to sleep as he used to sleep on top when he was a little younger. He would sleep there but he prefers to sleep on the sofa bed in the living room more. He does go to sleep in a room unpstairs that the female cat does not usually go in as she prefers to sleep in one of her two favourite rooms. Oreo does not bother her when she is sleeping or licking herself.

We do play lots with the kitten and he runs around like crazy. I guess I need to play with him even more to get him tired. Im also thinking of getting him more different types of toys to keep him busy.

As Danbi gets older will he learn to to respect oreos space and hopefully cuddle and actually sleep next to him without biting him?

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@H.M - yes as Danbi gets beyond kitten-hood he will become calmer and will gradually learn to respect Oreo's space. The two of them may not actually curl up together to sleep, but may feel comfortable to sleep either near each other or at least in the same room.

Do ensure that Danbi is neutered soon after the age of 4 months, so there are no male hormones to make him aggressive with Oreo.

5. H.M

H.M PetForums Junior

@chillminx
    Thank you so much for the advice.

I have distracted the kitten everytime he tries to get close to Oreo when he is sleeping or chilling. Today I ordered a catnip spray to spray on his soft toy to keep him distracted longer, which will come tomorrow.

Here I attached a photo of the two together. Oreo was licking Danbi and then Danbi fell asleep. I bought a bed for Danbi recently but they both love to sleep on it taking turns even though there are plenty of other beds and places to sleep. Oreo is not territorial at all and doesn't mind sharing. I have given Oreo lots of treats and today white fish for being a wonderful big brother.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice