Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat and eating habits

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by jay2jay99, Apr 10, 2011.

1. jay2jay99

jay2jay99 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, thanks in advance for your help.

I bought an Exotic Shorthair just over a year ago and it lived with myself and my mother as a house cat throughout this time, he was very effectionate towards me and always slept in my room with me but I have now moved out, well about 2 months ago and his eating has gone down hill really, he still occationally eats and picks at food, my mother in her keeps changing his food trying to find something he will like but I think that is half the issue as I'm aware cats don't like their food being changed all the time. The other part of the issue is the fact that I have moved out, I know cats can go off their food when they move house or have a new owner etc so I'm assuming this could also effect him?

I've read up on cats not eating and it looks like it's generally ok as long as he's not hiding away etc which he doesn't I went round there the other day, he was pleased to see me and came running up to the door, I played with him for a good 20 minutes and had him bolting around after his favourite toy so he has plenty of energy but does look a tad thinner as he's not eating as much.

Do I have anything to worry about? Should I just advise my mother to keep feeding the same thing and persevere and his eating should pick up?

Thanks again for your help, I've attached a photo below of the little guy, his name is Noah.

Regards,

Jason.

[​IMG]

2. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Hello and welcome to PF :D

It just sounds to me as if Noah is missing you since you moved out :(
    Is there any way he can live with you?

It can become dangerous for a cat's health if they don't eat. As you said Noah has lost weight, it might be in his best interests to take him to the vet for a check up.

#2 dougal22, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  3. jay2jay99

Well I'd like him to stay with mother as company for her now she's on her own, I guess I best take him to the vet to have him checked then. Thanks very much.

Jason.

4. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

But if he's not happy, could he live with you and your mother have another cat? It's just a thought.

I have heard of cats pining for their owners or lost playmates etc. I don't want to scare you, but a cat who doesn't eat can develop something called Feline Hepatic Lipidosis which can be very serious (see link below), so it's crucial that Noah is checked by a vet and he starts eating. I hope the vet gives Noah the all clear :)

Please let us know how you get on.

Feline hepatic lipidosis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. jay2jay99

That is a bit worrying, well possibly he could live with me but not for a little while as the house is being refurbished at present. I'll take him to the vets this week and see what they say.

6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

I think that would be a great place to start :)

Let us know how things go and I hope everything is okay :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice