UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How have you trained you dog to stop chasing your cat. Harvey can sometimes resist temptation but most of the time he can go from sleepy to cat alert quicker than I can say leave! He only want's to sniff and lick but Kitty is not too happy ablout being washed by an over enthusastic dog, and doesn't apprieciate a wet nose sniffing her bottom.

Any tips :eek:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Hi Sue.Iv always had cats and dogs,and have just found that they tend to find their own way with each other.One of my cats loves to be washed and slobbered on and when he's had enough walks off.The other just doesnt like it all at and virtually runs past when she thinks the dog isnt looking,unfortuneatley this makes the dog want her even more!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
This worrys me for when we get our puppy! its the only thing that im concerned about at the moment!

My cat is a lovely thing loves snuggles with my husband and kids (only comes to me when nobody else is available though lol)

So it really worries me that getting a pup may upset her! i know that hundreds of people keep cats and dogs together without problems and they will each have their own spaces they can escape to (cat likes to lay up on my sons bed anyway) but it still concerns me!

Im not so much worried about them fighting or anything as they will be supervised, its more the worry of the cat getting a strop on and not been happy!

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Sue.Iv always had cats and dogs,and have just found that they tend to find their own way with each other.One of my cats loves to be washed and slobbered on and when he's had enough walks off.The other just doesnt like it all at and virtually runs past when she thinks the dog isnt looking,unfortuneatley this makes the dog want her even more!!
hi BP, kitty sounds like your second cat :rolleyes: They are ok when we are all sitting on the sofa and Harvey realises she is not having any of it. We do leave them to their own devices to a degree as they need to sort this themselves. But kitty bats him (no claws) and he thinks ohh what a great game, so he does it back, :lol: really funny to watch, but I don't let it escalate to her needing to use claws. :rolleyes: Kids eugh :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,245 Posts
I use barricades at doorways, just plywood slotted into door frames a couple of feet high. Unfortunatley Chihuahua's can squeeze through baby gates!!LOL
Adam has never learnt not to chase the cats and coz the timid ones have never been brave enough to leave their bedroom he thinks they are intruder cats if he see's them.:(
The only positive is if he launches a full scale attack and really grabs one he is incapable of doing more then cause some mild bruising. Him and Banjo have a real love/hate relationship and sometimes get into nasty fights. But Adam cant bite hard and Banjo doesnt get his claws out so its like a couple of old woman hitting each other with their handbags!!BOL:lol:

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
what age is harvey?? usually they`ll figure it out for themselves. my banjo is the same sometimes she ignores them but others she can go from snoring to pounding around chasing them and with a 20kg lab puppy it`s not much fun lol she just chases them and barks when they stop (think she wants them to play as she always takes a tug toy over to them haha probably thinks they`re funny looking dogs)

i can`t really offer any advice other than to distract him but i know from experience that`s not always possible

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Harvey is 8 months old... and Kitty is 6 so not a kitten that want's to play all the time. Oh well, looks like she will have to keep diving under the sofa :D Hopfully he will grow out of it. :rolleyes: Thanks for the replies glad we are not the only ones :D

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
roughly about the same age as banjo then haha he should grow out of it eventually, twix just hisses at banjo and she runs a mile so i guess i know who`s boss there then :lol: have you got a stair gate up so the cats can escape? also a high activity center is good so they can climb up and get some peace

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kitty has her own bedroom :eek: We do have gates ect up so she can get away from him. kitty is definatly the boss, she sits on the foot stool and bats him off, so when she moves he tries to sit there, I think he thinks it's the top spot :lol:

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
I have 2 cats, brother and sister. He is a big softy and Heidi loves him but is just too full on and he runs which of course is a great game. His sister is a different matter, she will stand her ground, hiss, spit, slip in a right hook and if need be take chase. Heidi respects her boundaries but loves to tease.

I used "sit and stay" as well as "leave". "Leave" seems to work if the cat passes and I see it quickly enough. If Heidi is on the move, then "sit" plonks her bottom on the floor and "stay" will keep it there. "whats this" is my best option, either a treat for leaving, or her ball to distract her. We then start a really exciting game of fetch and the cat is forgotten. More often then not so it the meal I was preparing too :lol:

It's really good to hear that eventually the novelty wears off:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.