Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat always bleeding when he poops

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by barnsbury, Jan 19, 2012.

1. barnsbury

barnsbury PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

I have a 2 year old male cat. He has always had a problem with his bowels since he was a kitten. But, he bleeds everytime he poops. And it doesnt smell that great either. What shall I do? I read up on the net about this, and it seems cats can have inflammatory bowel disease (I have it myself!) and that there is nothing you can do about it.

He eats Iams dry food, which I am planning on changing to Purina Sensitive next week, to see if that helps.

Has anyone else experienced this? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Many thanks

2. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Perhaps could be constipation and he's straining too much? This happened to my two when I had them on dry food, it totally cleared up when I switched them on to wet - the smell is not as offensive too!:)

3. Anca

Anca PetForums Senior

Welcome to PF.
    How's the appearance of the poo: solid, liquid, in-between?
    If it only "seems", then I'd take him to the vet. Or I'd take a sample for parasites test. (I'd recommend it 3 times, 1 test/week, with special mentions to check for Isospora and Giardia: at us, if you don't mention these 2, they will ignore them, the test is different from the rest of parasites; they can also cause bleeding poos)
    From my view pont, his food is not the best possible, but it's just an opinion. I have no experience with Iams or Purina.

Good luck!

4. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

I have experience this with one of my kittens it had me worried sick and have changed them onto Wet food also, Smilla and Bozita and Aminonda Carny and it has cleared up and the pooh does not smell. I also invested in a cat fountain all this I purchased from Zooplus online.

5. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

try royal canin gastro intestinal,dry,worked with myn with same problem takes few weeks though before you notice any improvement,i have no problems with the cat now.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If this is frequent thing I would have him checked over by your vet to rule out medical issues and as suggested above ,I would change his diet over to wet food.Dry food is not ideal especially for male cats as it can cause urinary problems

7. Kat1703

Kat1703 PetForums Senior

Mine are on Animonda, Smilla, Macs and Petnatur - much better poos all around ha ha.

I can also thoroughly recommend that cat water fountain - they didn't drink any water at all before I got it and now they drink loads! I got this one from Amazon: Cat Mate Pet Fountain: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

It's cheap, mega easy to clean and fill and it's also silent :)

8. we love bsh's

In that case the royal canin gasto intestinal comes in the wet too but iv not tried this 1.

9. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

I'm assuming this is bright red blood? Bleeding like this shows that the bowel is very inflamed indeed to the point where the intestinal wall is eroded and this is very uncomfortable for the cat, for one thing. You also risk your cat developing anaemia from the persistent blood loss if this inflammation is left uncontrolled and two years is a very long time indeed. When was the last time he was seen by a vet?

Having ruled out parasites as a cause the next thing to consider is his diet. On the contrary, you can treat inflammatory bowel disease through diet changes and it sounds as if the current one could well be the culprit here-an ingredient in it is triggering this inflammatory reaction. Increasing his fluid intake should also help. I would switch him to a good wet food and arrange a vet visit. Of course it may turn out to be a combination of both parasitic infection and diet.

10. Anca

Anca PetForums Senior

Until the cause of bleeding is not identified, it's not easy to make statements on the type of food and brand, especially if it's dry, and it's possible to be wrong; what happens if the owner picks up this info, applies it and the cat is not better? I think each cat must be treated individually, maybe your cat had another diagnostic, nobody can know before the results of analysis.

Hill's have some very good intestinal stuff too. But I personnaly believe the cause must be determined first, before treating symptoms.

hobbs2004 likes this.
  11. we love bsh's

Did i say dont take cat to vets??

12. Anca

Anca PetForums Senior

Hey, no, of course you didn't say that. I didn't write all these to irritate you or anyone else. You recommended him/her to "try royal canin gastro intestinal,dry ", but really in a situation like that, it's difficult to recommend a certain type of food, if you read my posts here, you'll find no food recommendation from me; it is possible that the owner will choose what seems more easy to do, and it's also possible that it doesn't help the cat or even makes the situation worse. To me, it looks like the cat poops with blood for way too long and we must be attentive to what we recommend.

I cited you to draw the attention of the owner to be careful in selecting the appropriate answers for him/her and not to jump to anything that seems more effortless to do.

We can't know if it is the same problem, can we?

Please don't take me wrong. I really mean no harm. :eek:

13. we love bsh's

sorry thought you was avin a go at me ...sorry

14. LDK1

LDK1 PetForums VIP

Like others have said, I think he needs to be checked by a vet as soon as possible - regardless of what is causing it. Having these symptoms for so long could be doing some real damage.

When one of my cats was having bloody, partly soft stools I took four days worth of samples to the vet consultation - a couple of samples is not enough. The vet didn't think they needed analysing and thought it was just down to diet. I wanted them analysed and mentioned Giardia (having learnt about this from this forum and cat health websites). Turned out he had Giardia, was treated, and now seems fine - touchwood.

Even if it's not Giardia, the inflamation in itself needs to be dealt with - IMO.

15. Anca

Anca PetForums Senior

It's all right, maybe I should also appologize, maybe I don't express myself well as I am not an English native speaker. I try as hard as I can to write correctly and express my feelings and thoughts as clearly as possible, but maybe I don't succeed in doing it every time.

There are some others who mentioned the food they're giving, but you were very persuasive and that's where I intervened :eek:

Sorry ...

16. Anca

Anca PetForums Senior

Giardia and Isospora, need to do both. Same symptoms, but quite different medical treatment (if I know well), different antibiotics. Both are very hard to detect and both are very difficult - if not impossible - to get rid of. But if treated correctly, the cat can still have a normal life and normal food, living with them :rolleyes::

17. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Completely agree hence the need for a vet visit. Prolonged, unncontrolled inflammation like this, regardless of the inciting cause can in some instances morph into intestinal lymphoma later on. However an episode of much shorter duration can generally be controlled successfully once the inciting cause is removed.

18. Cloudygirl

Cloudygirl PetForums VIP

my cat boo who when i first got him had toilet issues had bright red blood a couple of timesvet treated him for giardia and is now fine. it could be many things but def needs a vet chrck as a starting point if you havent already

19. Anca

Anca PetForums Senior

The person who should have been interested in all the replies, @barnsbury, he/she's not given us a sign of existence (good or not so good):rolleyes: What's going on? With 12 posts, he/she can't be a troll, can he/she?

If 2 years seemed acceptable ... I really hope this is not real.

20. barnsbury

barnsbury PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The blood is bright red, and sometimes the poo is semi formed. Not diarrhoea.

Well, it never rains but it pours. I was going to call the vet for this, but the other day he was attacked by a vicious cat in the garden. Now, he is not eating and very lethargic. I called the vet is coming later this morning, to give him an antibiotic injection. I will also, tell her about his ongoing bowel problems.

I stupidly emptied his litter tray yesterday and now I do not have any poo samples to give to the vet.

It has been 2 years because I have only recently moved house and he always went outside to go to the toilet, but now he goes indoors in my current place, so I wasn't able to check his poo until now. The poor thing has been sleeping for 2 days now, and he usually never sleeps!

Thanks again everyone for your invaluable advice

Best wishes

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice