Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat allergies

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Odin_cat, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Odin_cat

Odin_cat PetForums Member

Hi,
    We adopted a Persian cat about 4 weeks ago. In the last few days my daughter has developed a rash which looks like an allergic reaction, is it possible the cat is responsible or would a reaction have occurred before now?
    Thanks

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I find I'm more reactive to my animals during hayfever season - even though my pets live indoors all year, at this time of year I find I can get itchy eyes if I rub them after handling animals and and a bit of eczema on sensitive areas of skin when there has been a slightly long period of contact with fur. For example, when one of my ferrets has curled up on my chest, the bit of skin above my shirt neckline can get a rash. It clears up with the ointment I was given though, so not a problem.

I think it's because although the sniffly symptoms of hayfever haven't really started yet, there is already some pollen around so my immune system is on alert...

I'd suggest getting it checked out by a medical person though, rashes can be the symptom of so many things (especially in children) I wouldn't take a chance! If a doctor is not easy to access, a pharmacist is usually a good first contact for minor issues & doesn't need an appointment. They can say if it's something which a doctor needs to see or if it's something you can try to treat with over the counter medicine.

If it turns out it is a reaction to the cat, she may become desensitised to *your* cat over time, or you may need to use allergy medicine, check what type a medical professional recommends.

Odin_cat likes this.
  3. Odin_cat

Thanks, that's interesting.
    We've been to the pharmacy, they said it looks like a reaction but that it's better to find a cause than give DD medicine. We'll be going to the Dr next week.

Babyshoes likes this.
  4. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Have you got scented litter? Used any sprays that you didn't have before? It may not be the cat, but something you have used on the cat or since getting the cat.

If you use toxic substances like Febreze or anything that contains it, perfumed cleaning items, laundry products they can all cause a reaction.

So can carpet beetle larvae (Woolly bears), they don't bite but can cause a rash. Feather bedding, all kinds of things. It is that time of year.

Odin_cat and Babyshoes like this.
  5. Odin_cat

Quick update: it looks like it's a reaction to the antibiotics DD took last week, but thank you for your advice :).

maisiecat, Gwen9244 and Babyshoes like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice