Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cat aggressive at night

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by mklula, Feb 11, 2019.

1. mklula

mklula PetForums Newbie

Hello all

First post to this site written in desperation for some advice.

Adopted a kitten a few months ago who is now 9 months old. He's absolutely fantastic and have had no problems at all except for one pee on the bed incident when he couldn't get into his box. He's so affectionate and snuggly and accepting of change when he needs to spend the weekend at a friend's if I'm away etc.

I used to have no problem at all with feeding him. He would be fed when I woke up (usually about 8am) and be no problems and would never forcibly wake me up. He would then be vocal for his dinner about 5pm which I would give him. He gets 2 sachets of wet food a day. However, I have a new partner who has started staying over more frequently who gets up for work at 6am. I believe this shift in routine to an earlier time has caused him to start waking earlier. He now jumps on my bed and comes up to my face and then bats my cheeks. If I ignore him then he will do this with his claws out as he knows it gets a reaction of pain out of me. Several times he has drawn blood from me. He then scratches my bed base as, again, he knows I will sit up and make a noise at him to stop that. This has started happening earlier and earlier every day - today it was 4.50am. I could probably live with ignoring him except my partner is becoming sleep deprived from this bad behaviour and its creating a relationship strain.

I live in a relatively large studio flat unfortunately, so there is no way of shutting him out of my bedroom (he sleeps on a mezannine level above my bed-space). The only place that is closed off is a small entrance hallway attached to the bathroom but I feel this is too small a space to be acceptable to shut him in over night.

Has anyone had any luck with automatic feeders? What shall I do to curb this behaviour as I was in tears this morning of frustration. I am trying to be patient and I hope that this is trainable behaviour.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @mklula and welcome :)

Your kitten is very hungry and that's why he is waking you early!

2 pouches a day is not enough food for a growing kitten of 9 months old. Let him eat as much wet food as he wants at this age, and feed him 4 meals a day. At his age my girls (small build cats) were eating 350 grams to 400 grams a day of wet food (i.e. 4 x 100 gram pouches) in other words twice as much as you are feeding your kitten.

Timed autofeeders are excellent. I have one I have used regularly for 25 years: the Cat Mate C20. It is reliable and easy to use and I have never had a cat try to break into it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Mate-C...8709&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+mate+c20+auto+feeder

Your kitten needs a high meat protein diet, as it is meat protein that helps to build strong muscles, and also keeps the urinary tract acidic and healthy. Avoid foods such as Felix and Whiskas as they contain a high percentage of vegetable protein which is substituted for meat protein to save costs. Cats cannot utilise veg protein as they lack the necessary enzyme to process it.

The diet also needs to be low in carbs, as carbs are not healthy for cats.

A good quality food will keep kitty satisfied for longer. But he will still do better on 4 meals a day. In the wild, catching their own prey, a cat would eat up to 8 meals a day.

Here are some good foods available from pet stores: Natures Menu, Country Hunter, Wainwrights tins, Wellness Core, HiLife Chicken Dinner, Meowing Heads, Lily's Kitchen.

Or for better value for money, buy online from companies such as Zooplus. One of our members posted a thread giving the percentage carb levels of all the good foods from Zooplus. Choose foods that are no more than 10% carbs. Note tins are better value than pouches. e.g. Animonda Carny, Feringa, Catz Finefood, Granatapet, Bozita, Wild Freedom..

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

I promise you will see a big difference in his behaviour once he is being fed enough. :)

Gallifreyangirl likes this.
  3. mklula

mklula PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for this! Have just bought a pack of Bozita Kitten and also high quality dry food for snacking.

I bought that automatic feeder and he is better with it, although he still scratches me for attention in the AM. Hoping to see good changes with diet. Will update. Thank you again for such a detailed response. He's my first cat so still learning

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice