Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat afraid of own tail

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Suzanne Thompson, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Suzanne Thompson

Suzanne Thompson PetForums Newbie

Hi!
    Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, I'm new here.
    My cat is now afraid of her tail, running from it, spitting, hissing and biting it. It may not sound like a big problem but she spends most of her day stressed and afraid. She is booked in to see a vet but because it isn't an emergency she can't be seen just yet. Just wondering if any one else has had experience of this or have any idea what could be causing it?
    She has been treated for fleas, ticks and worms.

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I can only comment on my experiences but it is possible to get a similar reaction if the cat has an allergy to fleas. It can only take one bite. Some flea treatments work by entering the flea when they bite the cat to feed. The flea then dies or is unable to reproduce. Treating with fleas therefore won't necessarily prevent flea bites (until all the fleas in the environment are dead) so if your cat has a sensitivity to flea bites they could be still reacting.

Also some fleas have become resistant to fipronil an ingredient in some flea spot ons like frontline making them ineffective. I had a major flea outbreak when local fleas became resistant and I couldn't control them. Switching products helped as well as a whole house flea treatment.

Some cats can also get pain or nerve issues that can cause them to bite their tails so I've heard.

My old boy recently had feline hyperesthesia syndrome which caused him to bite his flanks and tail. In his case it was stress related.

See what the vet says but I recommend reviewing your flea treatment to see if that is relevant. Good luck.

chillminx and moggie14 like this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Like kittih, my thoughts were of Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome (FHS) if fleas have been ruled out as the cause.

I have a cat with FHS and when younger he used to attack his tail and his flanks madly and appear afraid of his tail, whenever he had an episode of FHS. He is aged 7 now and the attacks of FHS are fewer and less intense nowadays I am glad to say.

When he used to have the intense attacks I gave him Beaphar Calming spot-on, on the back of his head. It seemed to help a bit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Ca...8-2&keywords=beaphar+calming+spot+on+for+cats

These days, as the episodes are less severe, I use treats as a distraction and he especially loves a bit of powdered cat nip. I stroke him gently, and talk softly to him while he is eating his cat nip and he calms down very well. :)

kittih likes this.
  4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Like @chillminx, my cat responded well to calming treatments (in our case zylkene) and distraction sometimes helped with fhs. My cat"s episodes were triggered by the death of his lifelong companion but sometimes there is no obvious cause.

chillminx likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Look up Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome - FHS

edit- I see this has already been mentioned.

kittih likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice