Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat Advert

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Cat_Crazy, Jul 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Just saw this advert on an internet site and could not believe it!!

Preloved | ragdoll x birman.rare cream point male for sale in Kent, UK

They are selling a Ragdoll cross Birman, charging 450 pounds and calling it rare!!!

If that's not bad enough the advert goes on to say that the cat is NOT NEUTERED and so could be used for breeding!!

Some people just do not realise the damage they do to the breeds involved in breedings like this and the cats that end up in shelters or worse put to sleep!

I just certainly hope that is anyone is daft enough to pay such a large amount of money for the cat that they neuter it.

Anyway rant over for the day lol!

Rebecca

2. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

:rolleyes: Hasnt your cat been cross breed? not that im bothered i have moggy cats only!! and i know the adverts wording is a bit of a piss take i guess there just after some quick cash!! :rolleyes:

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

I see this advert months ago its really old they had kittens to for £400 each as 'very rare'.

If people are silly enough to pay it....

4. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Well saying cream is rare, isn't a complete lie, dilute colours are less common than non dilute colours. Better a stretch of a fact that those ridiculous over the top kitten adverts/websites that proclaim their cats and kittens to be "high quality outstanding" and "extremely high quality" from fantastic lines. Those leave me cold, definitely a case for trading standards.

In reality no one should buy a kitten on the strength of the blurb on an advert without doing a bit of research first. Its definitely a case of buyer beware.

That said, neither cat in the picture accompanying the advert is a cream point.

Dozymoo likes this.
  5. babybelle

babybelle Guest

Trading standards for saying that your cat comes from good lines? over the top isnt it?

So you cant be proud of your cats lines?? and give out pedigree info? You do on your site!

You say on your site that you have champs and grand champ cats? Well isnt that the same thing?

Might as well not show them or get titles then!

Never heard such rubbish!

Reds are really that 'rare' I know someone that breeds only reds and I am getting a cream next year. If people want to pay £450 for a cross cat then its up to them really, A fool and his money I think the saying goes?

6. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Yes my cat has just been cross bred but in totally different circumsatnces, whilst I was not even in the country!

However when the kittens arrive I will not be asking silly prices and calling them rare and I certainly will not be stating that they can be used for breeding, they will all be neutered before being re-homed.

I understand that accidents happen but to deliberately give someone false information and try and mis-lead people who do not always understand about the breed just really gets me annoyed.

7. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Not when its declared by someone who has no idea what they are talking about !!! No decent breeder would predict the quality of an unborn litter, thats just ridiculous. Its crass, way over the top and just a huge sales gimmick. The quality cats and kittens should speak for themselves imho. On the same lines as predicting Gr Ch potential from Gr Ch matings. Shows how little the breeder knows!

8. babybelle

babybelle Guest

Well you are obviously talking about someone that you know, Im sure that ALL breeders like me started out new and with not alot of knowledge, unless you are born with every single fact in the world Im sure Everyone is new at something.

I can honestly say that I have never ever seen on any of the thousands of sites that I go on all the time to see whats about Anyone saying that.
    I do see how ever people saying 'they will be excellent cats and will be assessed for showing' etc

Which is completely different, why cant breeder brag about what they have? I personally think My kittens are the best so I say it, they may not be but Im sure every breeder is a little biased!

Id be more worried about someone torturing kittens or breeding moggies by letting them go outside or un-health tested cat than a breeder (which all do) brag about how proud they are and what their cats have achieved, if they didnt Id be worried!

If I couldnt brag about my cat being mated to a champ, why both giving him the title? The Kittens normally do speak for them selfs (not literally I hope) Why cant people say they have fantastic lines?

If you dont like to brag, then dont, as you said its your opinion then dont bring others down because they do as most of the cat world do!

9. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

If you want to take my general comment personally thats your problem love, I haven't seen your site so I have no idea what you have on there - or maybe I have, do you breed bengals ?

I have seen alot of sites and adverts making over the top statements about the quality of their cats and kittens and as I have said I find those crass and they leave me cold,my opinion.

Stating a cat is a Gr Ch, or has one high awards ie BIS, BOV are just statements of fact. The kind of statements I am talking about are not factual, they are unpleasant sales gimmicks.

#9 Saikou, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  10. babybelle

babybelle Guest

I dont take anything personal on here, That would be silly if you did!
    Im simply replying to what you said on a public forum like you are replying to me now :)

'love' is such a condescending 'man' thing to say so I take it your a man?

Well as you are saying they leave you 'cold' that someone happens to think their cat is fantastic & its your opinion, some people like it some dont, just because people dont agree/follow what you say doesnt make them wrong, each to there own, but no need to bring people down who do.

Jsut see that you edited your post, No I do not breed or own a Bengal I have a British shorthair and Birmans.

11. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

I agree with Saikou. I've seen those sites and those claims by breeders who have had 1 litter, or no litter at all. Claiming they WILL all be show/breed quality or whatever. Another thing I hate it people advertsing kittens before they are born!

12. babybelle

babybelle Guest

Well anyone who say that there cat WILL be show quality must be able to see into the future as my kitten that I kept I didnt know, well its no guarantee but I kept her back at 16 weeks.

All Im saying is dont beat down others with different views/opinions, I have seen some of the country's top breeder having waiting lists AND deposits taken before the kittens are born, up to them really isn't it? Just because you wont do it doesnt mate it wrong.

Anyway i have to go to work now so I say goodnight.

Edit to add, One breeder I went to stated that ALL of her cats were show quality and she knew before they were born!
    I think alot of breeders say this as Ive heard of it quite a bit!

#12 babybelle, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2009
  13. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

i noticed in a post above that someone said they would be more worried about someone breeding moggies(amongst other things) i dont understand why so many people seem to have such a problems with people breeding moggies. All of my cats are moggies and to me are worth as much as pedigree cats. dont get me wrong, some pedigree cats are stunning and well worth the money. but i dont think the being pedigree is the be all and end all

14. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I am not bring anyone down or saying someone shouldn't love their cats and think they are fantastic, I think all of mine are the best in the world, but thats just my opinion.

I am sure if you had seen the sites that I am referring to then you would be of the same opinion, the statements do not read as an expression of genuine love for their cats, detailing their acheivements because they are proud of them. Its all about sucking in a gullible public, for that next kitten sale, making them think they are getting something they are not. If you think thats acceptable then good for you.

15. babybelle

babybelle Guest

Hi it was me, and i didnt say dont breed moggies I said un-tested ones that are allowed to go out and get pregnant like the person who chucked out their cats for you to look after.

16. babybelle

babybelle Guest

PM me the sites then and Ill make up my own mind.
    I have to go now but Ill look when Im back from work.

17. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

I would steer well clear of them then, because there is no way you can guarantee that. Just because the parents are titled, doesn't mean the kittens will have title potential, or even if a mating produced a couple of show stoppers in the past that the same will occur in every litter. It just doesn't work that way.

18. donna81

donna81 PetForums Member

what you said was
    "id be more worried about someone tourturing kittens or breeding moggies by letting them go outside or unhealth tested cats.....and so on" i really dont see the prob with breeding moggies, myny is a moggie, she is stunning and has a fab loving personality, to me she is priceless and thats with out the need of pedigree papers.

19. Angeli

Angeli PetForums Senior

Id say if they were so confident as to the quality of their unborn 'show quality' kittens then they should put their money where their mouth is and offer to run these kittens on at a couple of shows - at their own expense of course.

You would be amazed how many don't take up the offer and then retract what they said. :rolleyes:

20. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

GOD YOU GUYS GOT ME WORRIED NOW ABOUT THE WORDING ON MY WEBSITE :(

Saikou CAN I ASK WHY YOU SEEM TO AIM THIS AT BENGAL BREEDERS ?
    MIND YOU I HAVE TO SAY THERE ARE PLENTY ABOUT NOW I AM SHOCKED OF HOW MANY BENGAL BREEDERS THERE ARE !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice