Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cat accidentally separated from kittens - very worried

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Catgranny, May 27, 2017.

1. Catgranny

Catgranny PetForums Newbie

Our beautiful kittens are now six and a half weeks old and all has been going well. Last night my sons accidentally let the mother cat out and then, without realising, locked her out all night. Naturally I am very worried. I realise there is a very real danger that she might be pregnant, but more concerning is that she hasnt licked them all over or attempted to feed them since she came back in. Is it possible that her milk could have dried up in the hours she was separated from them? They are doing well at weaning but both kittens and mother cat still enjoy a feeding time. The kittens appear unaffected but I am worried about mum. Any advice would be really welcome.

2. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I'm sure breeders will be along soon. However I'd be surprised if her milk dried up in just a few hours.
    She must be spayed ASAP.

3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

It is possible that she is calling and that is why she escaped. Some girls lose interest in kittens when they are calling. Even if she was mated last night, she is not technically pregnant until the eggs implant at about two weeks. If she has a flank spay she can feed the kittens afterwards. I would not want 6 week old kittens' feet all over a midline spay.

4. Catgranny

Thank you. I am reassured that she may still be able to feed them. I asked about spaying at the vets this week and they said not until her milk has completely stopped.

5. Catgranny

Thanks for the advice. I will explain the circumstances to the car and hope that they will spay her sooner than that said.

moggie14 likes this.
  6. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Her milk will not dry up completely if she allows them to suckle again. You might have to wait until the kittens go which could be too late if she is pregnant.

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Her milk doesn't need to be dried up for her to be spayed, phone another vet and explain the urgent circumstances to get her spayed asap.

They can still nurse after a midline spay, same as they do after a c-section.

If you wait another 6+ weeks for the kittens to stop nursing and be rehomed it'll be too late to spay

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice