UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of getting my Springer done when hes 12 months old(nice birthday present huh ? :eek:) as im sure iread on here somewhere that it can be iffy having em done earlier

Hes not hyper(anymore) or humping things although he constantly gets a boner :eek:: :eek:

Im purely intrested in the health benefits having the op may have on his longterme health

Although aside from possible weight gain are there any other downsides to be aware of?

Any springer owners had there dogs cobblers off and did u notice any health benefits?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
i have 12yr old that has no health issues, is not agressive and only tries to hump dogs if he doesnt get bitten. It doesnt change their behaviour in any way .. I met a lively english bull the other day who was neutered - its made him worse

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I had my male 3 yr old chow castrated a couple of months ago (I waited as he wasn't showing any sexual behaviours and wanted him fully physically matured before considering it), I have to disagree with James though I have seen a change in him, though all for the better.

I no longer have the whining from 5 in the morning to midnight if a bitch in the neighbourhood is in season. He's calmed down though still a big daft pup when we play. He eats better (was always a terrible eater). He had started humping women that came into the house a few weeks before castration (one of the motivating factors) as this was a hormonal problem and hadn't become a learned behaviour, this has completely stopped, he still gets really excited to see my friends, but just goes all waggy and spinny now, til he gets some cuddles.

I have to say after much agonising, about should I, shouldn't I get him done, I'm now so pleased I did. He's a much happier more contented boy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.