Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Castrated dog problems

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by fluffykiki, Feb 22, 2008.

1. fluffykiki

fluffykiki PetForums Newbie

I have a 6 year old male dog who was castrated at about 10 months. He has recently started attracting all the un-neutered male dogs who won't leave him alone. I understand this is quite a common problem. Can any one tell me how long this is likely to last and whether there are any sprays or treatments that will help.

carol likes this.
  2. griffpan

griffpan PetForums VIP

Hi there

I have heard of this before happening because the neutered dog has lost some of his "maleness" so therefore the ability (to other entire dogs) to be top dog.

I've not heard of any ways that you can deter it though sorry.

When the other dogs come by him what is their behaviour like and whats your dogs behaviour towards them?

3. carol

carol PetForums VIP

the other dogs get confused sometimes with castrated males
    carry a spray bottle of water about and if they are to much of a pain give them a spray.

4. fluffykiki

fluffykiki PetForums Newbie

The other dogs treat him as if he was a female, i.e. they follow him and sniff his private parts and I have to wait for the owner to put their dog on a lead and take him away. The other dog owners assume i am walking a bitch on heat.

5. carol

carol PetForums VIP

yep some castrated dogs do attract males more, just let him tell the dogs off normally 1 bark at them and they go.
    a friends chocolate lab does ive not known a dog whos not tryed to mount him thinking his a girl,
    he such a lovely dog so he justs plays sometimes he does bark at the other dogs and tells them off they get the message to leave him be but he'll most likly play.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice