Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cassie found a hurt raccoon today

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cassiel07, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Cassiel07

Cassiel07 PetForums Member

I was letting the dogs out today and noticed Cassie was messing with something over by our garage doors. I thought it was our male cat until I got a good look and it's a raccoon. Now, this little thing is just sitting there and let me walk right up too it. She is hurt, and one of her eyes is missing. She stayed there and I gave her some food and water and talked to her. She let me and my husband pet her! She came back when we pulled back up from going to the store and went into the garage. So we went out there and put her in a cat carrier to put her in a cage until she gets better. She really didn't put up any fight, she was just scared. Now she's up there in the dog cage sleeping peacefully with a full belly and nice and warm. Once she gets her strength back we'll let her go. I just don't want her to die cause of the cold and being hurt.

By the way, we named her Jinx.

2. claire

claire Guest

can you get any photos it would nice to see her

3. Cassiel07

I went up and took two pics of her. She wasn't sure of the flash and I don't want to get her worked up. You can see where she's missing an eye. Thank goodness we've raised raccoons before. Here's Jinx...

Attached Files:

4. claire

claire Guest

i have never seen a racon before except on the tele! she is cute, ive always taken thing in when they are injured in the last few years ive looked after a few birds a hedgehog, a pigeon with one leg and a duck

5. Cassiel07

It seems like we are always getting animals showing up on our steps hurt or needing a home. She'll be the 2nd raccoon we've rescued over the last two years. We used to have a pet raccoon named Oreo, but we let her go when she got big enough to handle her own. I just hope this one gets better to go back out to the woods again. The only thing I don't like is the musty smell the raccoons have. We're just gonna be cleaning alot over the next few weeks. Never know, she may stick around on her own accord. Cassie seems to like her, and so does our oldest cat.

6. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

awww the poor thing, hope she's ok

7. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i have never seen one either,, only on the telly,,,,,,,,,:):)

8. claire

claire Guest

when ive seen them on films they look cheeky chappies

9. griffpan

griffpan PetForums VIP

Aww she's lovely, hope she gets better quickly, poor thing.

10. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Good job your dog found her. Hope she recovers ok.
    I can picture your house being like dr. doolittles :D

11. Cassiel07

That's what it feels like! LOL! We always seems to get the hurt animals showing up here. They must know we are gonna take care of them. Jinx is doing pretty dang good right now. She's using a litter pan and has been eating as much as she can.

12. Nigel

Nigel PetForums Junior

Hope he get well soon.

I’ve had a few encounters with raccoons and every time I’ve ended up loosing blood lol. They were removed from the DWA back in October so now anyone can keep them now if they want.
    Glad the one in your care is friendly

13. Cassiel07

I'm surprised she's that calm too. We had a blind raccoon that would come up nightly cause we would feed him. His name is Archie and he's hibernating right now. He'll be up in another month or so hungry as can be. He and our other raccoon we had as a pet come up together. Oreo(she was our pet and we let her go) will come up to the door and scratch when she is hungry and no food is out for her. It's pretty interesting, she's almost adopted that blind coon, cause I always see them coming up together.

14. claire

claire Guest

id really like to see them close up they look so cheeky it must be rewarding when you let them go and they return on there own accord

15. Cassiel07

She's doing really well now. She looks like she's feeling better, she's been cleaning herself and getting around better than she was. Once it stops snowing here and warms up at least to the high 40's or 50's, we'll let her go. She gets out to the garage for a few hours a day and wanders around. It gives her some exercise, but she should still be hibernating. We are gonna try to get some liquid antibiotics down her tonight via some soft cat food. Her missing eye is looking 10 times better than a few days ago.

16. Cassiel07

Here's two new pics of Jinx. She's doing good, eating well and sleeping alot. She didn't even get out of the cage today when I was cleaning it, but was fascinated with the paper towels. LOL!

Attached Files:

17. claire

claire Guest

are racoons intelligent they look it

18. Cassiel07

They are very intelligent. She didn't take a day to figure out the litter pan use. They are so cool to watch eat, the pick everything up with their hands and roll it around and wash it before eating each piece. Their paws feel so soft, and almost act like a baby by grabbing your fingers and holding on to them. When I get her cage cleaned out tonight, I'll video her a little bit and put a link up for you guys to see it.

19. Cassiel07

I found out today Jinx is not a she, but a he. He made it obvious today when he stuck his willy out to clean it. :D

20. Cassiel07

We went to release the raccoon today and the weirdest thing happened. Jinx was acting like he wanted to leave since we have had the doors open and the fresh air has been hitting him. Since it's been nice, we figured we could go ahead and let him go if he wanted too. We've tried twice before to let him go and he didn't want too. This time he actually got out of the cage and we thought we would see him get to be free. Instead what we saw was Jinx walk out of the cage and onto the driveway, stand up, start foaming at the mouth and convulsing. It lasted all of a few seconds, but when he finally came too, he literally ran to me with a look of "hold me" and let me at least pet him to calm him down. He went str8 to the door to get back in and ran to the back hallway until we got the cage back in the house. He went right back in and went to sleep. I think we may have a new pet... :p I have to get his cage cleaned up later tonight so I'll get some more pics of him. His eye looks fantastic, healed up nicely. :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice